Menu toggle

Life after Cayman - My 2021 Alpine A110 Legende GT.

Also seem to remember that Brian’s PB at Knockhill was quicker than the time of Walter Rohl in a 718 GT4 that was in some of the launch videos… :)

Paul,

Flattering though it is for my 718 2.5t GTS lap times at Knockhill to be compared to those of the great Walter Rohrl, his lap times recorded visually by stopwatch with passenger Henry Catchpole was 57.4 seconds. WR said his PB on his own in the GT4 4.0 was 56.8 seconds. There are other laps with journalists present where his lap times also posted in the 58 second bracket. Walter Rohrl's lines at Knockhill were spot-on. It was an ideal venue to test the handling stability of the 982 GT4.

Considering WR's times were set on fully warmed Michelin Cup 2's, whereas mine were on PS4S tyres, the 365bhp Cayman GTS PDK acquitted itself pretty well. My 58.76 second time was recored digitally via GPS on the Porsche Track Precision app.

Brian

I totally get that the torque of the 2.5T for hillclimbing would be very useful. I just don't really get that kind of car - a nigh-on 1,500kg luxury GT with sporting prowess, which is what a 718 is - for that kind of event. I'm sure it's remarkably capable in that context, but it's still a luxury car with wall-to-wall carpets, electric everything, screens, power hood, loads of sound deadening and a huge amount of overall weight. Etc.

Sure, it's nice to be able to drive comfortably to the odd hillclimb. But if you're only doing a few events and mostly driving the car on the road, can't see that it makes sense to prioritise the spec for hill climbing effectiveness over the 98percent of road driving pleasure. If you are doing a lot of events and getting serious about it all, well, a proper hill-climb / track car will be a million times sharper and more thrilling.

Back on the road, I can't compute that the 4.0-litre lacks performance, you can't drive the 4.0 flat out everywhere, can you? Like I said, I'll always take more performance. But only the right kind. The 2.5T could have double the power and torque and it still wouldn't excite me. Go drive a modern McLaren for proof. Great cars. But the engines are not exciting. Just very effective.

In the end, that word 'effective' probably sums it up. The 2.5T is very, very effective. But in this kind of car I want something thrilling, exciting, emotional, an engine that makes you think, 'god, that is gorgeous', that makes you want to rev it out again and again for the noise, the response, and then gives you those little moments of joy pootling around with the windows down as you tip lightly in and out of the throttle and catch the soundtrack bouncing off a low wall. and enjoy the immediacy of the resoonse To be fair, the modern non-GT F6 isn't exactly the last word by those measures. But it gives you an awful lot more of that kind of thing than the 2.5T.

I respect the 2.5T like I would a very nicely engineered fridge. But the F6 is something you can really connect with on a much more emotional level. On my deathbed, I won't be thinking about the best fridges I've bought.

Having driven my ex. 987.2 R manual at Anglesey and then later been a passenger in a 718 S PDK I can assure you that the latter is far, far more than a `well engineered fridge`[;)] ... and an experience very much worthy of a death bed recollection :rolleyes: :p

On the road I found the 2.0T and 2.5T superb handling cars that just made `a different noise`, ultimately not to my taste as an overall ownership package

The F-6 is far from perfect on some of those `emotional levels`, the internal `clatter` when not not pressing on and the exhaust drone (some models) being just two ...

There's definitely far more to the difference on the road than just the noise. The noise isn't great. But the response and power delivery I like even less.

Really don't like that elastic feel to the throttle response as the boost builds or the relative lack of top end sparkle compared to the beefy mid-range. Which of course is why they're still doing the NA engines in some models. For thrust it's no contest. Turbo all the way. But there are other things that matter, too.

In an ideal world there'd be a choice (which strictly there is, albeit you have to up the spend to GTS levels currently). But with the market generally having gone turbo, I'd rather one of the last remaining fairly affordable multi-pot NA engines wasn't replaced by yet another turbo engine. And yes, I already said the F6 isn't perfect. But it's far, far better by those more emotional and involvement-orientated measures. Which is the point.

As for the whole track thing, doesn't hugely interest me in this context. I do track days. But I'm not going to spec my car for a few days a year at the expense of the other 362 days. For the price of a 718 GTS, you could buy one hell of an actual track car (used race car, that would obliterate it both from a driving thrills and a pace perspective.

Brian_Innes said:
Pothole,

<<<<.The shorter gearing of the 2.5t PDK suited these roads ideally. >>>>

I feel I must point out for the sake of accuracy that the PDK gear ratios of the GTS4.0 are identical to those of the 2.5T GTS.

Peak torque for the two engines is the same at 430 Nm, but the 2.5 delivers this at 2100- 5000, whereas peak torque is at 5,500 for the 4.0.

But if you look at the torque curves for the 4.0, its hardly torque light, delivering 375 Nm at 2600.

I've no wish to get into any further comparison of the respective merits, but the 4.0 N/A six cannot be view as anything but a magnificent engine, with more than enough torque and power for any road use. Admittedly it is a little handicapped by the absurdly long ratios of the manual box but coupled with the PDK box it is both extremely effective and soulful.

I've enjoyed reading the comments and opinions so eloquently expressed on the merits/demerits of the F-4t versus the F-6 atmospheric engines. Having extensive experience of both power units in hard-core trailered race cars, and normal road cars, I have learnt to adapt my driving style to suit both alternatives with equal enthusiasm. If there is something I have in abundance, its enthusiasm for driving a car that I love. The Alpine A110 fulfils that criteria in spades.

Looking back over my 50+ years of motorsport, track days, and touring with both turbo and atmo engines, I have no preference of one over the other provided they are well engineered and developed, delivering performance excellence across the rev range. I still love the sharp, barking, responsiveness provided by a performance atmosphere engine. However, times move on, and I have chosen to embrace the turbo era rather than spurn it. I completely accept this may place me a minority.

Now that the schools go back this week in the north of Scotland, I shall soon be resuming my touring exploits to some of my favourite places. The A110 has been rested for more than a month now, so I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel and enjoying its balletic and sure-footed handling on the roads that I love.

When the crowds recede in September, I shall again venture north and west seeking the off-the-beaten track locations served by some of the best driving roads in the UK. When the dark skies arrive in November, my plan is to visit Sutherland for a couple of nights hoping to view the spectacular "northern lights" auroras. I've only witnessed them once in my life so far. Fingers will be crossed for the "heavenly dancers" to appear one more time, just for me.

Brian

Brian, I do hope that you are successful in your attempts to see the Aurora. It is an elusive beast. one March we went to Finland, well inside the Arctic Circle, hoping to see the Aurora. We did see something, but really it was as only visible on a 30sec exposure on a camera rather than the naked eye. The same week we were there the Northern Lights produced a fine display in GB as far south as the east coast of Yorkshire.

I’m alarmed to here that traffic in the northern highlands has been so bad as to confine the Alpine to the garage.

we have just returned from 1000 miles in the Scottish Borders, where blissfully the roads are still wonderfully traffic free, even in a heatwave in August. Almost unbelievable; please don’t tell anyone.

Paying Respects.

Today I embarked upon a drive with a purpose, to pay my respects to the late Queen Elizabeth, as her funeral cortege passed through the Aberdeenshire community at Ballater on Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire.

My route involved a 170 mile round trip to the south of my home town near Inverness. I chose to take the alternative mountain route via the A941 Duftown, and the Cabrach, thereafter the A97 to the hamlet of Dinnet on the A93 Braemar-Aberdeen road. I know my way around this locality very well, as my late wife and I spent 10 happy years enjoying visiting a holiday lodge near Ballater.

The drive on the A941 Cabbrach was pure joy. Being less well known than the A939 Lecht tourist route, the A941 offers wonderful scenic vistas of the Cabrach moorland. At 8.00am on a Sunday morning I had the road to myself. Not a single vehicle encountered until I reached the village of Lumsden on the A97. Thereby I joined a convoy of 6 cars all headed towards Ballater.

As with my previous Caymans, the A110 is designed for such roads. In all honesty, the lightweight, agile, A110, has the edge over the Caymans I owned, on the narrow undulating twists and turns this particular route involves. It's the A110's lightness and responsiveness of controls. The road feel transmitted to the driver, provides the confidence of feeling at one with the car, enabling placement on the road with millimetre perfect precision.

On arrival at Ballater around 9.00am, a large police presence and road closures made parking a challenge for most. I had the advantage of local knowledge, and parked on a residential side street on the eastern outskirts of the town. Following a short walk to the town centre, a substantial crowd had already assembled behind the barriers and control stewards. All age groups were represented, including retired Scottish Regiment military types complete with an impressive array of medals. Many attendees wore something black, and being in the Highlands, a few were in kilts.

The mood prior to the arrival of the funeral procession was calm and dignified. The cortege arrived at Ballater around 10.30am, headed by a formidable police and security presence ahead, and behind, the hearse. I lost count after more than 20 security vehicles and motorcycles passed by. There was even a spare hearse in the convoy, as insurance against a breakdown of the prime vehicle. A helicopter also hovered overhead, following the cortege all the way from Balmoral to Aberdeen. As the hearse containing the Queen's coffin made its way slowly through the town, respectful silence descended among the large crowds now lining the route. No flower throwing, no shouting exclamations, only a deep respect for a monarch who called this town Ballater, and surrounding countryside, her home. The Queen spent a month here for every year of her 70 year reign, as well as countless years as the young Princess Elizabeth. The local community at Ballater is Scotland's equivalent of Windsor. Everyone is very respectful of the royal presence and patronage for more than 150 years, all the way back to Queen Victoria's reign. It's a very genteel place.

As with the tv images of Windsor Castle and the rainbow, the majestic mountain Lochnagar was crystal clear on the morning of the Queen's leaving Balmoral. In all my many years spent in this highland locality, I have rarely, if ever, seen Lochnagar in such splendour. It made a poignant message on this day.

On a personal note, I am honoured to have witnessed this historic event. It was history in the making. I am also heartened in these troubled times, having shared the experience in such respectful company as the community at Ballater.

Brian

Thank you for the write up Brian, glad you were able to experience the day and good to hear the crowd and mood were respectful but given the close connection of the royal family to Ballater it was most likely to be, hopefully something that will be repeated elsewhere especially Edinburgh where respect was not shown this morning

Lovely write up Brian, thank you

we got to know the A941 from Dufftown to Cabbrach quite well this February when we were cross country skiing in the Clashidarroch Forest. It is indeed a most delightful road, even in a Land Rover Discovery 4 which, it is fair to say, does not quite have the lightness and agility of your Alpine.

Thank you also for posting the photos of the Queen’s procession. I suspect I shall not be alone in being somewhat surprised and perhaps disappointed on her behalf that she travelled in a Mercedes hearse. Surely a British made Rolls Royce hearse could have been obtained?

Many thanks for your very respectful on-the-spot report on today’s events from the Queen’s much loved Scottish home Brian.

Oddly enough, during the TV coverage I too spotted the reserve (Mercedes) hearse at the back of the cortège and like Graham was disappointed that a lovely old RR hearse couldn’t have been sourced for the journey, but given its length perhaps there were reliability concerns? Hopefully that will be addressed for her final journeys to the capital and then on to Windsor.

Jeff

I eould rather hope that a modern Rolls Royce would be every bit as reliable as a Mercedes.

As for the final journey there should be no worries, apparently the carriage is to be pulled by naval ratings.

Although I see that modern RR hearses are available Graham, I would have thought something like this more appropriate given the Queen’s love of tradition? Maybe for the journey from Northholt to London? I think that the state hearse will be used for the journey on to Windsor.

Chris, it seems that two gun carriages will be used in the Capital: the Royal Horse Artillery’s from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall and then the State Gun Carriage of the Royal Navy (horse drawn!) from there to Westminster Abbey.

Jeff

COD981 said:
It's a naval gun carriage but I think you'll find it's pulled by horses rather than ratings 😂

That's a shame.

Queen Victoria's carriage was pulled by naval ratings, because the horses due to pull her carriage played up at the last minute and the navy stepped in. This was the start of the tradition and followed by Edward VII, George V, George VI, Winston Churchill and Louis Mountbatten.

The Queen Mother's carriage was pulled by horses.

I also was surprised that a Mercedes hearse was used for transporting the Queen's coffin from Balmoral to Edinburgh. I accept there could be many reasons, both technical and practical, why a suitable RR hearse was not chosen. More eyebrows were raised here in Scotland regarding the funeral director's logo being prominently displayed on the side windows of the Queen's hearse. Apparently this indiscreet anomaly was rectified at Brechin, in Angus, when the offending logos were removed.

Back on topic, my Alpine A110 has had its first annual service completed at John Clark Alpine in Aberdeen. The A110 has a 12 month service schedule programme with defined replacement items, assuming a 12000 mile average per annum.

My A110 has covered only 5800 miles in the 12 months since delivery. Even so, the service indicator on the console indicated a service was due by September 30th. Only 3 standard replacements listed on this first service schedule. Replace the engine oil and and filter, and replace the cabin pollen filter. I was happy for each of these to be done, as it is my usual custom to replace the engine oil and filter following the first 6000 miles after running-in. This just me.

I was very interested to see how this new Alpine dealership performed compared to my 12 years of Porsche servicing at OPC's. The Alpine dealership is part of the John Clark Autoplex Group in Aberdeen, with this particular premises also supporting Dacia, and Renault brands, as well as Alpine. Parking at the service bays presented no problems, and upon entering the showroom I was greeted with a friendly welcome and directed to the Alpine service reception desk. Registration was efficient and well prepared, and my car was processed for the service ahead of time. Complimentary coffee, tea, and other beverages available at the waiting area.

I requested a word with the technician assigned to the job before commencement of the service. I always find it helpful to introduce myself to the technical staff who are working on my car. This has benefits for both sides. It allows me to point out my personal experiences on set-up and use of the car, including any faults noted. Meeting the technician also helps create a personal bond between customer and the individual entrusted with my car. For example; I had requested supplying my own engine oil for the service, which was readily agreed to. However, I had reservations about the compatibility of the particular grade of Mobil 1 5W-30 I had left over from my Macan Turbo ownership. Alpine recommends Castrol Edge 5w-40 engine oil, and when I checked the list of SAE and EU numbers and specs on the label of the Mobil 1 oil, there were a number of distinct differences. After speaking to the technician about these differences, and following a careful check of the Alpine engine oil spec in the workshop, it transpired that my Mobil 1 was not compatible. I held no reservations about this outcome as I had my own doubts anyway. Besides, the engine oil capacity of the Alpine is only 4.4 litres, so not a significant cost factor involved.

As is common practice now among premier car brands, I received a wheels-off video inspection report complete with narrative, while the car was on the ramp. I was impressed that this video report came through on my iPhone while I waited at customer reception. A full check on all electronic and mechanical systems, components, tyres, and bodywork, also successfully completed with no issues raised. My car was ready following two hours from booking-in. The cost for this first year service was £457. This compares very favourably with similar Cayman services from OPC's. All-in-all, I left feeling very satisfied with the service experience at Alpine, Aberdeen.

Brian

They have said on the BBC that Naval Ratings will be pulling the Gun Carriage and they are not using horses. We will seen Monday.

With a very heavy heart, the time is coming around when I shall have to relinquish ownership of sports cars as a genre, and sell my 2021 Alpine A110 GT.

Despite my positive outlook on life, I cannot hold back the relentless progress of a medical condition which until now, I have been able to overcome by determination and adaptation. For the type of driving that I do, the joy of the dynamics of sports car handling is beginning to fade. It is time to face reality and move on to a single dual purpose saloon car for my daily driving and touring requirements. I have enjoyed a very full and successful life with all my sports coupes over many, many years.

With this objective in mind, I have contacted my "local" Alpine Centre in Aberdeen to enquire if they are interested in my car for used approved stock in exchange for a cash payment. I know from past experience that Porsche offer such deals to maintain stocks of used approved cars.

It's early days yet. I'll post more on this topic as developments progress.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back