I want to add a reversing camera function to my 981 PCM 3.1 . I know that there are aftermarket cameras available that fit in the numberplate location, and others that fit centrally to give a true symmetric view and I'm not worried by having to remove the bumper to create a hole to fit it. Which brands and models of camera look like the OEM camera? What are the pros and cons of the various types, which provide gridlines etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I've been told that the cameras fitted on a 987 to replace the numberplate light ie. off centre, have a VW part number and come from a VW T5 van! Is the 981 OEM camera also a standard VW part?
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Adding Reversing Camera to a PCM 3.1 in a 981 Boxster
- Thread starter Tricky54
- Start date
What's the cost of one from an OPC? It costs nothing to ask, I bought a new rear light for my Macan from the OPC, including PCGB discount it was less than half of one advertised on ebay and more recently the frunk liner for my 981 was 40% cheaper from Porsche than @ Design911.
Finally I have a rear view camera attached to the 3.1 PCM in my 981 and the picture is crap (true, better than nothing). I asked if there was anything to be done in the OPC last Wednesday, answer... "no".
Finally I have a rear view camera attached to the 3.1 PCM in my 981 and the picture is crap (true, better than nothing). I asked if there was anything to be done in the OPC last Wednesday, answer... "no".
Hi Neil1911. Thanks for your post. I gather that you have had a camera added but is it an aftermarket one and is it fitted centrally or to one side above the rear numberplate? What brand? What makes it 'crap'?What's the cost of one from an OPC? It costs nothing to ask, I bought a new rear light for my Macan from the OPC, including PCGB discount it was less than half of one advertised on ebay and more recently the frunk liner for my 981 was 40% cheaper from Porsche than @ Design911.
Finally I have a rear view camera attached to the 3.1 PCM in my 981 and the picture is crap (true, better than nothing). I asked if there was anything to be done in the OPC last Wednesday, answer... "no".
I've only had the Boxster since July but I believe the camera is original. The spec is comprehensive, including ACC and PCCBs. My judgement is possibly clouded by comparison to that on my '23 Macan which is crisp and clear, the Boxster's appears "soft focus". I wasn't sure if the lens or the PCM screen were at fault but asked in the OPC, they took a look and said that there's nothing to be done. I'm not necessarily going to leave it at that but it's on pause at this immediate moment. In the medium term an aftermarket Sigma head unit or a Mr Volt add in are options...
As now is: PCCM Plus for Porsche 991.1 / 981 Part No.: 99164260000
As now is: PCCM Plus for Porsche 991.1 / 981 Part No.: 99164260000
Last edited:
It seems I need to revise my earlier response, first the camera is fitted centrally, picture attached, and second it's not as bad as initially thought! The Indy suggested that being located just a few inches above the exhaust it was in prime position to accumulate all sorts of contaminants, so while I hesitated to use wet or dry on it as he suggested, I gave it a good scrub first with paint brush cleaner (great for removing all manner of sticky stuff) then again, without checking the effect, with C-Tec Multisolve (even removes silicone sealant) and...... Hey Presto, clarity restored!Hi Neil1911. Thanks for your post. I gather that you have had a camera added but is it an aftermarket one and is it fitted centrally or to one side above the rear numberplate? What brand? What makes it 'crap'?

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members
Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions
Disclaimer
The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.
Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.
When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.
Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.
Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.




