Menu toggle

718 Bodywork Advice

tony.wong

New member
Member
Hi Everyone,

I wondered if you could offer some advice or point me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, three days before my road trip through France, Germany and Belgium, my 718 Cayman GTS suffered some bodywork damage after someone damaged the car. I’ve attached a few photographs showing the affected area.

Having returned on Sunday, I’m currently deciding whether to make an insurance claim or pay for the repair myself. I’m leaning towards paying for it myself, but if I do, I want to make sure the work is carried out to a very high standard, particularly in terms of the paint match and overall finish.

I’m based in central London and wondered whether PCGB has any body repair specialists, Porsche-approved repairers or trusted independents that you would recommend in London or within a reasonable distance. I’d be very happy to travel a little further for somewhere particularly well regarded.

I’d also be grateful for any advice on what I should be looking for or asking when getting quotes for this type of repair, and whether any recommended repairers offer a discount or other benefit to PCGB members.

I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest option – my priority is getting the car repaired properly and to a standard appropriate for the car.

Many thanks for any recommendations or advice you can offer.

Best wishes,

Tony
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    611.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 19
I can see why you are leaning towards sorting this outside of insurance. A bit of PITA....

There are some great Porsche Approved bodyshops around and specialist centres too. All the folks below know their way around Porsche cars.

I have used Chris at E and A coachworks in Wembley who is excellent and did a lot of work on my 993.
Bob at Autobody Technics in Slough is great specialist
BodyTechnics in Slough Trading Estate is Porsche Approved, but top end
www.bodyrepairslondon.com based in Ilford, as I understand is also Porsche Approved
 
Looking at the photos, I’d say that’s a new quarter panel as it looks like the metal has been cut. Given the photos and potential costs, I’d get your insurance company to sort it as there’s a good chance that will be expensive. Worth getting a quote though and take it from there. I don’t have any knowledge of any body shops in your area but if you do some googling asking for Porsche Approved Bodyshops then you may get a couple of companies pop up.

Dan.
 
I had a very poor repair from Bob at Autobody Technics. He charged us £11,500 for a glass out respray and we then had to pay Porsche Reading £41,000 by the time Reading took my car to bare metal and realised how much work was required to fix Bobs very poor repairs. This was Bobs repair to my off side quarter panel. All the filler was removed and replaced with metal by Porsche Reading. That lower sill was completely out of shape and paint was sinking all round the car. I left him a google review for all the cars he did for us via 911 Virgin feel free to check them out. Never again.

IMG_1028.JPG

I should thank Bob though as I now have a concours car I love.
 
Crikey, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Body Autotechnics - that sounds horrendous. Did you undertake court proceedings?
 
I can see why you are leaning towards sorting this outside of insurance. A bit of PITA....

There are some great Porsche Approved bodyshops around and specialist centres too. All the folks below know their way around Porsche cars.

I have used Chris at E and A coachworks in Wembley who is excellent and did a lot of work on my 993.
Bob at Autobody Technics in Slough is great specialist
BodyTechnics in Slough Trading Estate is Porsche Approved, but top end
www.bodyrepairslondon.com based in Ilford, as I understand is also Porsche Approved
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations and advice. Will check them out and possibly get a quote. Always best to go on recommendations. I’ve got one quote from a Porsche Specialist (mechanical) that have linked me to a body shop, so good to benchmark and assess. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
 
I had a very poor repair from Bob at Autobody Technics. He charged us £11,500 for a glass out respray and we then had to pay Porsche Reading £41,000 by the time Reading took my car to bare metal and realised how much work was required to fix Bobs very poor repairs. This was Bobs repair to my off side quarter panel. All the filler was removed and replaced with metal by Porsche Reading. That lower sill was completely out of shape and paint was sinking all round the car. I left him a google review for all the cars he did for us via 911 Virgin feel free to check them out. Never again.

View attachment 8735

I should thank Bob though as I now have a concours car I love.
Wow!! What a nightmare you’ve had - you’ve made me feel quite lucky by comparison. Glad you got it sorted, but at quite a cost!
 
Looking at the photos, I’d say that’s a new quarter panel as it looks like the metal has been cut. Given the photos and potential costs, I’d get your insurance company to sort it as there’s a good chance that will be expensive. Worth getting a quote though and take it from there. I don’t have any knowledge of any body shops in your area but if you do some googling asking for Porsche Approved Bodyshops then you may get a couple of companies pop up.

Dan.
Thanks Dan - I’ve had one quote and is not much more than what my excess would be if I went through the insurance route. Based on photos they said they thought they could repair rather than replace the panel. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
 
Court? Over £11.5k? Life too short. Turned a negative into a positive by going for a colour change that brightens my day up.


xLLpLi9R.jpghxTYxhzn.jpg



Bob and his merry band of non work permit Eastern Europeans shouldn't be allowed near a Dacia Duster let alone God forbid a Porsche. To be fair I should have known better when I turned up to their shed.

On a QP repair like the OPs I would defo always go with the Porsche recommended list above. You get a life time warranty too.

For your P&J it is the differnce between going to Turkey for cosmetic surgery and your car literally dying or going to Harley St. If you love your Porsche go the PORSCHE approved repairer.


image0.jpeg
 

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back
Top