Menu toggle

Porsche Post - 964 missing again

Dekker said:
CLIFFWILKINS said:
Write ups in the PP have been reduced to 500 words max now from a 1,000

I'm very much aware of that Cliff as I stated above. below is an extract of an email I sent to the board in June this year :-

[size="+1"]Fairly recently I heard verbally and later via email that our reports were to be shrunk to 500 words and 1 photo, thoroughly useless for us as technical articles will not fit into that template.[/size]

[size="+1"]However it is obvious that this is not being applied to all contributors. If I look at the June PP, I see that the Cayenne had 5 photos in his column, Boxster 4 photos, 914 5 photos, 997 4 photos, Cotswold region 3 photos and Surrey Region 4 photos and so on.[/size]

[size="+1"]Also it's obvious, from a cursory look, that the 500 word limit hasn't been applied also.[/size]

[size="+1"]I sent one photo in this months PP which was not printed.[/size]

[size="+1"]No feedback from whoever decided this action which I find thoroughly disrespectful to say the least.[/size]

[size="+1"]In the past I've sent articles in where the photos have been reduced so that any details of what I've been discussing are illegible and others which were cropped so that the pertinent feature was removed. It's about time this was sorted out. I've also had other articles edited down by Richard Rees because I was a little over the then 1,000 word count, again with no feedback that my article was too long and that I was more than capable of doing it myself, if I'd been told.[/size]

Did you ever get a reply to the email? I know when I raised a similar issue, I didn't get a reply either.

For what it's worth those who run PCGB and by that Porsche Post, my view is that most member's only contact with the club is via PP and if that only takes a few minutes to skip through, as the content is of little or no interest and no 964 content, why bother to buy the magazine - because frankly that's all I get from PCGB.

This thread is becoming more interesting every post.I know David very well & as a previous owner of a 964C2,I know he is a true enthusiast & like many air cooled car owners likes to do as much as he can himself,as I did & still do with my 3 car fleet,so I always welcome & enjoy the DIY posts on here & think PP should have a lot more instead of the rather obvious "corporate" articles.

Picking up on another recent post about lack of minutes,I had a good look at that section ,read the June ones & spread my reading glasses to the Members Code of Conduct area etc.

I was surprised to find how seemingly Corporate & Bureaucratic much of the content & text appeared to be -reminded me of "Thought Police" as a concept & clearly shows the direction the club is going -the "we know best" attitude & subtle but directional promotion of the "Porsche " brand,image ,experience unblurred by unrelated nonsense of owners actually owning spanners & screwdrivers ,let alone socket sets to maintain,repair their older vehicles,unless it is a celebrity owner .

However ,I do realise the exalted position of the Porsche brand & range & know many owners are real enthusiasts who clearly relish their ownership but don't or can't do spanner work so difficult to achieve a practical balance but the balance has clearly swung the "kettle" way if only down to production numbers.

C'est la vie!

Circa 500 words has been kept to since implicated in The Boxster write ups I think it's one large photo of 3 or 4 small ones obviously not all get printed that have been sent in.

I have the impression that today´s club member owns a boxster or similar (nothing wrong with that, of course!), has no idea that Porsche ever made aircooled engineer´s cars, the tool-kit is limited to a smartphone app and lifestyle is what he (or she) is after. A Sunday drive to a fancy restaurant, loads of selfies, etc.. PP for sure is not a car club magazine, it´s something about lifestyle (and maybe about being posh), which has vaguely something to do with cars - and advertising. I even had to ask on a regular basis if they would please send my copy as I never received it without asking, although I did pay the full overseas fee (Germany). But that´s another story.

When I was given the complimentary membership by the "oily rag leadfoot hands-on 964 RS and 964 Cup car gang" inside the club eight years ago I was really proud to be part of something that I considered special. That seems ages ago, the gang has moved on to greener pastures and one of the best forums (964 RS) is dead now. I have no home in this club any more.

Apart from that the Modified Register and the 996 Register (if memory serves) had a great clubman´s meeting at RPM Technik last September. So there´re still old fashioned car club activities related to the club. And, yes, there was at least some support by the club.

Hacki,

not having reinstated my membership and still owning and driving a 964 and a 993.

Hacki said:
I have no home in this club any more.

Apart from that the Modified Register and the 996 Register (if memory serves) had a great clubman´s meeting at RPM Technik last September. So there´re still old fashioned car club activities related to the club. And, yes, there was at least some support by the club.

Hacki

You will always be welcome at any future event.

All the best.

Andy

As Hacki says nothing wrong with owning modern day Porsches nothing wrong in that at all every model is a real Porsche with the badge on the bonnet .

I have owned many models air cooled and GT3s so good incite into each model.

Only speaking to any new member can they be educated in various models both past and present.

We all share a common interest in the Marque no matter what model.

Enjoy which ever model you have while you can. [:D]

I compile the reports for the Dorset region and have had numerous articles published in PP in the past so I've been following this thread with interest as the issues certainly aren't restricted to the registers. In fact I wholeheartedly agree with all the criticisms raised and it saddens me to say it, but in my opinion the lions share of PP has become little more than a Porsche newspaper, brochure, advertorial (call it what you will) publication, compiled and edited in the main by Archant Dialogue rather than the editorial team at Cornbury House and given a free rein, are Archant's priorities going to be the same as those of the enthusiasts in Club Office? Of course they're not, advertising, sales and commercial gain will win over meeting the expectations of grass-roots club members every time.

For some time I've had the depressing feeling that the Regions and Registers sections of PP have become an inconvenience and if things continue the way they are going, the reduction in word count will be just the beginning of the end of contributions by club members. I don't know about the other contributors, but until I checked this morning, I wasn't even aware of who the current PP editor is whereas when there was a change in the past, it was announced to all and sundry hence we all knew who the incumbent was when Peter Morgan, Stephen Mummary, Chris Seaward etc. were in the chair. And who is the current editor? It's Matt Master, the author of the majority of the 'driving impressions of Porsche loan cars' articles seen on a near-monthly basis.

I have two copies of PP in front of me - the Autumn 1996 issue recently passed on to me and the current issue, December 2019. The first is packed with interesting articles about the just-released Boxster, the 904, Le Mans, club personalities and well illustrated event reports and technical articles written by enthusiastic club members. The second has significant editorial space given over to Porsche designing a fantasy spaceship, a multi-million pound 'superyacht' and a flying car - and who wouldn't want to read that instead of seeing decent sized photos in the R&R sections?. Guess which issue took me longest to read...

David Bladon has perfectly summed up the frustrations shared by regular contributors to the back sections of the magazine and I'm sure most have suffered submissions being edited by people who know nothing about cars and as a consequence, have turned a report or photograph into nothing more than meaningless drivel. One example - I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost so when we had a presentation about the Carrera 4-cam engine, my Regional report included a summary of what we had learnt about this iconic powerplant, illustrated with a schematic of the complex valve-train. Unfortunately, in order to fit the photo into the postage stamp sized space available, someone in their infinite wisdom decided to crop it, loosing the bevel gears to the cutting-room floor, thus rendering the photo completely meaningless and had I not been so angry, I'd have laughed out loud when I saw it. I've had copy edited to the point that I no longer recognise it as my original submission, paragraphs transposed making the report laughable and carefully chosen, professional standard photographs (not mine, I hasten to add) either reproduced thumbnail size or ignored altogether (maybe if I use a graffiti wall as a backdrop every month, my photos will be given more space...).

I'm no journalist and my reports can take me a long time to write and re-write before I am satisfied with the result (made all the more difficult with the restricted word count) and for them to then be butchered before publication is nothing short of demoralising, so why do I bother. I hear you ask. It's because many years ago the Dorset Region made a commitment to the board that it would submit a regular regional report in order to get itself reinstated after being disbanded for under-performing, so come hell or high-water, as long as the editors want one, there will always be an R26 monthly report.

Porsche Post is the ONE single form of communication between the club, the RO's, RS's and membership that EVERY member has access to. Yes, it may come as a surprise to the publishers of PP, but even in this day and age, there are club members who don't use the Forum, the Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, What's App - or even email, but they ALL receive PP. Unfortunately, I suspect fewer and fewer are actually reading it though and this is a very sad state of affairs.

Maybe this thread needs starting off again with a new title rather than originating from the 964 section. It seems to have snowballed.

mr pg said:
Maybe this thread needs starting off again with a new title rather than originating from the 964 section. It seems to have snowballed.
I agree - but better still, implement a dedicated Porsche Post section on the forum...

...bet that won't happen though.

chrishak said:
mr pg said:
I agree - but better still, implement a dedicated Porsche Post section on the forum...

...I bet that won't happen though.

stephenryan said:
[font="georgia,palatino"]Wow, I didn't know I was kicking a hornets nest... I am however VERY encouraged to see that there is such a desire here for a presence in PP. [/font]

[font="georgia,palatino"]Can I suggest that David (or someone) speak to the powers that be at the Christmas event in Bicester (I'll be there) or perhaps a group of us could meet up there and try to hatch a plan to improve the situation. [/font]

[font="georgia,palatino"]So who's going to the Bicester Heritage event?? [/font]

One of the best ways to let the powers know what you think is the annual feedback, now in digital form and usually posted through mail chimp to all members after Xmas. They take seriously what comments are said and it can all be done anonymously.

youngres said:
Dekker said:
CLIFFWILKINS said:
Write ups in the PP have been reduced to 500 words max now from a 1,000

I'm very much aware of that Cliff as I stated above. below is an extract of an email I sent to the board in June this year :-

[size="+1"]Fairly recently I heard verbally and later via email that our reports were to be shrunk to 500 words and 1 photo, thoroughly useless for us as technical articles will not fit into that template.[/size]

[size="+1"]However it is obvious that this is not being applied to all contributors. If I look at the June PP, I see that the Cayenne had 5 photos in his column, Boxster 4 photos, 914 5 photos, 997 4 photos, Cotswold region 3 photos and Surrey Region 4 photos and so on.[/size]

[size="+1"]Also it's obvious, from a cursory look, that the 500 word limit hasn't been applied also.[/size]

[size="+1"]I sent one photo in this months PP which was not printed.[/size]

[size="+1"]No feedback from whoever decided this action which I find thoroughly disrespectful to say the least.[/size]

[size="+1"]In the past I've sent articles in where the photos have been reduced so that any details of what I've been discussing are illegible and others which were cropped so that the pertinent feature was removed. It's about time this was sorted out. I've also had other articles edited down by Richard Rees because I was a little over the then 1,000 word count, again with no feedback that my article was too long and that I was more than capable of doing it myself, if I'd been told.[/size]

Did you ever get a reply to the email? I know when I raised a similar issue, I didn't get a reply either.

For what it's worth those who run PCGB and by that Porsche Post, my view is that most member's only contact with the club is via PP and if that only takes a few minutes to skip through, as the content is of little or no interest and no 964 content, why bother to buy the magazine - because frankly that's all I get from PCGB.

No reply from the Register Director, a month later I resent it to Edwina and she replied.

chrishak said:
I compile the reports for the Dorset region and have had numerous articles published in PP in the past so I've been following this thread with interest as the issues certainly aren't restricted to the registers. In fact I wholeheartedly agree with all the criticisms raised and it saddens me to say it, but in my opinion the lions share of PP has become little more than a Porsche newspaper, brochure, advertorial (call it what you will) publication, compiled and edited in the main by Archant Dialogue rather than the editorial team at Cornbury House and given a free rein, are Archant's priorities going to be the same as those of the enthusiasts in Club Office? Of course they're not, advertising, sales and commercial gain will win over meeting the expectations of grass-roots club members every time.

For some time I've had the depressing feeling that the Regions and Registers sections of PP have become an inconvenience and if things continue the way they are going, the reduction in word count will be just the beginning of the end of contributions by club members. I don't know about the other contributors, but until I checked this morning, I wasn't even aware of who the current PP editor is whereas when there was a change in the past, it was announced to all and sundry hence we all knew who the incumbent was when Peter Morgan, Stephen Mummary, Chris Seaward etc. were in the chair. And who is the current editor? It's Matt Master, the author of the majority of the 'driving impressions of Porsche loan cars' articles seen on a near-monthly basis.

I have two copies of PP in front of me - the Autumn 1996 issue recently passed on to me and the current issue, December 2019. The first is packed with interesting articles about the just-released Boxster, the 904, Le Mans, club personalities and well illustrated event reports and technical articles written by enthusiastic club members. The second has significant editorial space given over to Porsche designing a fantasy spaceship, a multi-million pound 'superyacht' and a flying car - and who wouldn't want to read that instead of seeing decent sized photos in the R&R sections?. Guess which issue took me longest to read...

David Bladon has perfectly summed up the frustrations shared by regular contributors to the back sections of the magazine and I'm sure most have suffered submissions being edited by people who know nothing about cars and as a consequence, have turned a report or photograph into nothing more than meaningless drivel. One example - I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost so when we had a presentation about the Carrera 4-cam engine, my Regional report included a summary of what we had learnt about this iconic powerplant, illustrated with a schematic of the complex valve-train. Unfortunately, in order to fit the photo into the postage stamp sized space available, someone in their infinite wisdom decided to crop it, loosing the bevel gears to the cutting-room floor, thus rendering the photo completely meaningless and had I not been so angry, I'd have laughed out loud when I saw it. I've had copy edited to the point that I no longer recognise it as my original submission, paragraphs transposed making the report laughable and carefully chosen, professional standard photographs (not mine, I hasten to add) either reproduced thumbnail size or ignored altogether (maybe if I use a graffiti wall as a backdrop every month, my photos will be given more space...).

I'm no journalist and my reports can take me a long time to write and re-write before I am satisfied with the result (made all the more difficult with the restricted word count) and for them to then be butchered before publication is nothing short of demoralising, so why do I bother. I hear you ask. It's because many years ago the Dorset Region made a commitment to the board that it would submit a regular regional report in order to get itself reinstated after being disbanded for under-performing, so come hell or high-water, as long as the editors want one, there will always be an R26 monthly report.

Porsche Post is the ONE single form of communication between the club, the RO's, RS's and membership that EVERY member has access to. Yes, it may come as a surprise to the publishers of PP, but even in this day and age, there are club members who don't use the Forum, the Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, What's App - or even email, but they ALL receive PP. Unfortunately, I suspect fewer and fewer are actually reading it though and this is a very sad state of affairs.

Well said Chris.

I've been told that the board wants to do away with the Region and Register submissions in PP and move them online to a Facebook section of PCGB.

I’ve written about how unsuitable this would be not only because of a large percentage of members don’t use computers but also the difficulty of running multiple threads and accessing information like FAQs etc.

Previous boards were populated by directors with very little if any IT experience and so were easy prey to any director who appeared to have some knowledge of this new fangled industry, even when their abilities were very limited.

When Stephen Mummery was editor I never had any trouble with my copy going into PP.

Since Chris Seaward took over control it has gone downhill all the way and the curent state of PP is down to his tenure. He was also responsible for Archant having editorial control.

Stephen was a Porsche enthusiast and whenever I attended an event he was always there with his camera in hand, snapping away and talking to members. Nowadays Cornbury House have had to hire someone to liase between the general membership and the board and CH because they admitted they were out of touch.

I too have no idea who the current chief in charge of PP is since Chris left.

MoC2S said:
les richards said:
As a lapsed PCGB Member I've been following this thread with interest.

Likewise, when I acquired my 993 I applied to be included on the Register but never got a reply. That was in 2010.

Articles about the 993, as with the 964, seemed few and far between. Perhaps owners of older air-cooled cars (real Porsches?) are being penalised for not buying newer models!

... Like many contributors to this thread and similar posts in the past I wonder if those running PCGB have lost their way in what the Club is and should be about?

Les, I find your comment rather strange .. would you like me to send you a copy of your 993 Register Enrolment form ? .. [8D]

cheers, Maurice

Strange? Not really. Just odd that I never got a reply to confirm or otherwise my inclusion. Still have the messages I sent but don't seem to have one in reply other than that with the blank form. Of no consequence now whether I'm on the Register or not. But thanks.

les richards said:
Strange? Not really. Just odd that I never got a reply to confirm or otherwise my inclusion. Still have the messages I sent but don't seem to have one in reply other than that with the blank form. Of no consequence now whether I'm on the Register or not. But thanks.

Les, go to the top right of your page and click My Profile.

Go through all the pages and correct any details. One of those pages has the register(s) you want to belong to.

Just to add, the magazine (club) needs some youth. I bring my PP magazine to work and one of the guys has nicknamed it 'retirement monthly'.. I have to concur, there is nothing appealing to the younger audience perhaps apart from the trackdays and R20 London meets. My local region have trips to the Bluebell railway and Christmas carols! (REALLY?!!!!) It is very focused at people over 60. No offence to anyone, nothing wrong with that but it does deter many people as seen on a post on 911uk, my local PCGB meets are very different to other porsche meets, very nice people but the interest was more in staying inside the venue and the cars all scattered outside, not a car meet at all, in fact, you rarely (if ever) see pictures of the monthly meet because the cars clearly aren't the focus. I have kept my membership because I hope there is a turnaround in the magazine but after reading this thread, the loss of the COA, I am questioning what's the point now.. I'll return in 25 years or so.

Im currently back in the club a few years now after a lapsed membership in the early 90,s. I have to agree the PP magazine is pretty poor as it takes me less than 3 minutes to read what Im interested in. A coffee table mag. I had concluded that Im the odd ball because its the cars and engineering that are my first love.

Having read this thread Im saddened that the content is edited out as I thought it wasnt coming in the first place anymore. Truth is the whole Porsche experience has moved to a consumer profit model like the mobile phone industry ( all about the next must have) and Im sure other big brands are the same.

It does feel like corporate manipulation something I really dislike about big brands especially when its in my hobby area.

I have already got off the band waggon and regressed to a 987 and quite content. Ive had the next new thing last one being a 981 spyder and like the dog all the fun was in the chase.

The reality for me is a mix of the old stuff with new is the middle ground with something for everyone. Stand in a muddy field through to Jet set tours.

My personal view is Porsche brand is due a big "correction" and when it comes it will hit hard.

If you cant beat em leave em. Maybe we are Tipec people now ?

Oh , BTW there were big questions regarding the integrity of some elements within the club way back when so wasnt all sweetness.

What happens at the annual officials conference?

Is that not the opportunity to voice concerns about the direction PP is going?

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back