Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

Brian_Innes said:
In England you have Boris to thank for the freedom to drive your cars. Meantime we in Scotland are stuck with Wee Jimmy.

I wonder who is cutting her hair? It hasn't grown in over 12 weeks......One rule for some.......

Mine has never been so long since the 70's. I'm not complaining, I would rather have hair than the glossy dome.

I love your comments Brian. I hope you're keeping well. Regards, Gary

Brian

I'm still here folks! So far keeping well thankfully. Each morning I wonder who this strange bloke is in the mirror with the bedraggled white hair. I'm shunning FaceTime for fear of scaring people.

My thread has wandered off topic a few times in its life so no problems with that. The simple reason for my absence on GTS matters is that I'm locked down here. My much lamented 718 CGTS is parked in the garage still. Really tough seeing it languishing there idle. It is such a delight to drive and I'm missing it terribly.

I have not heard any more from OPC Chester regarding the revised delivery date for my new Macan. The website says Porsche Chester is still closed, and even if lockdown restrictions are lifted in some regions of England, the north west being a relative Covid hot spot, OPC Chester may not be among the first to reopen.

With not having driven my GTS since March 21st, I'm coming to the grim realisation that I may not now drive it properly ever again. Whenever the new car materialises, its looking like a transporter delivery and virtual handover as the only viable option for me. With my current 12 week locked down situation, it is out of the question for me to travel 500 miles south to Chester with the resulting multiple hotel and fuel stops along the way. I'm hoping Porsche Chester can come up with a solution to collect my two cars and deliver the new Macan to my home.

I must say this new Porsche ownership experience, being a Macan Turbo this time around, is not instilling the same eager anticipation and thrilling excitement of my previous new Porsches. It will be quite a dramatic change of vehicle for me, borne out of practical necessity rather than pure driving pleasure. Good as the Macan Turbo may turn out to be, it'll never replicate the planted chassis and tactile road feel which I have joyfully experienced and relished with my Caymans. As in life generally, nothing stays the same for ever and I shall adapt to my Macan given time.

One thing for sure, my heart will always be with the superbly balanced mid-engined chassis of the Porsche Cayman.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I`m sure you`ll take to and be excited by the new chariot in no time, discovering and feeding back on it`s hidden depths ... I look forward to subscribing !

and … there may just be a Cayman come visiting [;)]

It is now 8 weeks since I last had a drive in my 718 CGTS, and I'm finding it extremely hard going. Driving, and particularly Porsche driving, has been the foundation on which my life has been rebuilt following the loss of my late wife Sheila who tragically died after a long battle with cancer aged only 52. 13 long years ago now.

Acquiring my first Porsche, a 987.1 Cayman 2.7 5 speed manual in 2008, and subsequently throwing myself back into the world of competitive motorsport after a 20 year break was a life-saving decision which, looking back was probably the single most important factor in dragging me out of the black pit of utter despair.

Moving on to more recent times, it is bad enough having to voluntarily give up the joy of non-competitive track driving due to a degenerate illness affecting the grip and dexterity of my right hand. I became resigned to the fact that touring was to be the main purpose of Porsche ownership from now on. To be effectively banned from driving my Porsche for pleasure by government decree, at a time when each year of active participation is a precious thing, is a very bitter medicine to swallow.

To put it mildly, it is death by a thousand cuts.

My original plan was to retain my 718 CGTS for at least a couple of years, then move on to an all-purpose touring/daily driving vehicle as my final association with the Porsche brand. The advent of the Cayman 4.0 GTS dramatically hastened that move. Personally, I regret Porsche's decision not to develop the flat-4t 2.5 to it's full potential. Although 99% of Porsche owners will disagree, I think it is a brilliant engine and driven intelligently, is an outstanding performer on road and track.

I am now facing an unspecified delay in the delivery of my new Macan Turbo while effectively grounded in my own home. At first I was sanguine about the lockdown. It'll be temporary I said to myself, I'll keep my head down and stay safe while this nightmare blows over. It now seems this nightmare is never-ending. It is my assumption that this coronavirus and its mutations will be with us for a long time to come. We have all been advised to adapt to a new and very different way of life. I am not a anti-lockdown protester, but I question the governments decision to severely restrict the movement of all over 70's in a one-size-fits-all national lockdown. The current restrictions are not conducive to a normal, healthy way of life either physically or mentally.

My plan is to take whatever safeguards are practical to protect myself and others, while doing my best to get on with what remains of my active life. Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours looking back at photographs and videos of the many happy times spent in recent years when life was "normal". Several of the photos and videos included fellow members of PCGB and contributors to this forum thread. Little did we know what lay ahead!

The only thing I have left is hope. Hope that driving freedoms and social gatherings will resume before too many months elapse. This year is already written-off as far as holidays are concerned, and it is in the interests of us all who enjoy driving to scenic places that those freedoms are restored for the sake of our mental well-being.

It's rumoured that the Scottish Government will announce some relaxation of the strict stay-at-home mandate during the course of this week. This cannot come soon enough for all of us living and working in Scotland. We have sacrificed enough as it is, both economically and personally. Let's get back to living again.

Brian

Brian

Please please keep a positive outlook. This crisis will end however the precautions are for everyones safety, even though some may be flouting the rules somewhat.

Fortunately for us here in England, we have a little more freedom than the Crankie has given to you but I would have thought that there may be calls for her to reconsider her decision. Strange that she will accept the furloughing decision and funding but yet wont accept the easing on lockdown measures. Same for the Welsh First Minister I suppose. Personally I feel that this will be a virus that we just have to live with as our bodies adjust to cope with it however, we must be cautious for those who are most vulnerable. My Mum is almost 74 and lockdown is driving her bonkers. She's already decorated her entire house and painted the shed. I really don't know how she does it. I hope that you have friends and family that you can talk to and talking about your feelings is the best thing you can do.

Your new car will arrive soon enough and even though its like pulling teeth, the wait will be worth it. Maybe plan some road trips for next spring to keep you going. I intend to return to Le Mans next year as I haven't been for years and it will be good to stretch the legs on the Cayman once it arrives.

Stay safe Brian and I'm sure that normal ops will resume at some stage.

Dan

Thank you all for your kind words of support. That, along with the FaceTime calls received, have made this week much more bearable.

Good news received from Porsche Centre Chester regarding my new Macan order.

Iain Joshua, Sales Manager emailed to confirm that delivery to Chester is scheduled for August 7th. That's two months later than the original delivery date of June 7th, and I pretty much expected that. I took the opportunity in my reply to broach the subject of delivering my Macan on a transporter to my home address, and the subsequent collection of both my Abarth and Cayman back to Chester. I explained the fact that I am currently locked down as a shielded person for God knows how long, and added to that, Wee Nippy has made it abundantly clear the travel restrictions in Scotland will remain in force for an indeterminable period ahead.

I was both relieved and delighted to receive the assurance that transportation of the Macan to my home and collection of my current cars would be "no problem at all". Porsche Chester also promised to be as flexible as possible to accommodate my request following the PDI and subsequent procurement of the transportation arrangements. This is excellent news, and I cannot praise Porsche Chester highly enough for their empathy in dealing with this request.

Some of you may already have seen Ralph's post elsewhere regarding the Porsche Connect app and the wayward readings shown during the lockdown. I can also add my similar experience to this anomaly. According to the app, my car status is showing a total mileage of 5726 miles when in fact the mileage recorded is 9217 miles. Oddly enough the fuel status reading is correct. I'm not intending doing anything about this as my car is effectively sold and I shall not be driving it again, but it does seem that long periods of idleness throw the Porsche Connect app into false readings. Photos are shown below.

Brian

It seems likely that there is a km to miles conversion glitch somewhere in the app. The difference is almost dead on.

The default switch to km from miles may well have something to do with the Porsche Connect app going astray when long periods of idleness occur. In my experience with the Porsche Connect app since 2016 I have not noticed this happening before. Mind you, I've never not driven my Porsche for 2 months before!

On the topic of lockdown, the recently announced very cautious relaxing of the travel ban by Wee Nippy* due to take effect in Scotland from May 28th, only allows people to travel up to 5 miles from their main residence. This is to stop those living in cities flocking to Highland beauty spots for a much needed break and change of scenery. Being generally a law-abiding individual, I try to conform best I can to the lockdown restrictions, however, I do take issue with this particular diktat from the First Minister. As a non-driver she wouldn't understand the pleasure we enthusiasts derive from getting out and about on the open road, particularly the enjoyable driver's roads which are abundant in the north Highlands. Driving is fun for some of us.

(*Wee Nippy is a term coined by some Scots to describe Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland. It derives from the puckered facial expression resulting from sucking on a sour, citric, boiled sweet. During her previous role as Deputy Leader of the SNP, a journalist likened her to a "nippy sweetie". Thus Wee Nippy.)

I cannot get my head around the problem with driving alone in my car to a remote scenic location in my part of Scotland, taking a picnic lunch and enjoying the solitude and peaceful surroundings of a Highland glen or loch. What possible harm would this do? Through my local knowledge of the Highlands, I know many quiet places away from the madding crowds where I could enjoy strolling in the open air amongst beautiful scenery. I could almost guarantee I wouldn't meet a living soul.

Compelling people to stay at home has a limited lifespan. Sooner or later people get fed up with this and take the law into their own hands, as has been reported in some parts of England already over this Bank Holiday weekend.

I shall continue to abide by the law for now. I have a good excuse not to drive my Cayman GTS at this time anyway. However, when my new Macan gets delivered the desire to get out and about will be very powerful indeed.

Brian

Brian_Innes said:
On the topic of lockdown, the recently announced very cautious relaxing of the travel ban by Wee Nippy* due to take effect in Scotland from May 28th, only allows people to travel up to 5 miles from their main residence. This is to stop those living in cities flocking to Highland beauty spots for a much needed break and change of scenery. Being generally a law-abiding individual, I try to conform best I can to the lockdown restrictions, however, I do take issue with this particular diktat from the First Minister. As a non-driver she wouldn't understand the pleasure we enthusiasts derive from getting out and about on the open road, particularly the enjoyable driver's roads which are abundant in the north Highlands. Driving is fun for some of us.

(*Wee Nippy is a term coined by some Scots to describe Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland. It derives from the puckered facial expression resulting from sucking on a sour, citric, boiled sweet. During her previous role as Deputy Leader of the SNP, a journalist likened her to a "nippy sweetie". Thus Wee Nippy.)

Brian

Wee Nippy?? Give her a school cap and I think Wee Jimmy (Krankie) might be more appropriate Brian.! [;)]

Like all of us here south of the border, I do hope that your driving restrictions will be lifted sooner rather than later.

Jeff

Nothing wrong in getting both out over the BH weekend and giving them a wash before they go to Chester, just to give you something to do.

Brian_Innes said:
The default switch to km from miles may well have something to do with the Porsche Connect app going astray when long periods of idleness occur. In my experience with the Porsche Connect app since 2016 I have not noticed this happening before. Mind you, I've never not driven my Porsche for 2 months before!

I cannot get my head around the problem with driving alone in my car to a remote scenic location in my part of Scotland, taking a picnic lunch and enjoying the solitude and peaceful surroundings of a Highland glen or loch. What possible harm would this do? Through my local knowledge of the Highlands, I know many quiet places away from the madding crowds where I could enjoy strolling in the open air amongst beautiful scenery. I could almost guarantee I wouldn't meet a living soul.

Compelling people to stay at home has a limited lifespan. Sooner or later people get fed up with this and take the law into their own hands, as has been reported in some parts of England already over this Bank Holiday weekend.

I shall continue to abide by the law for now. I have a good excuse not to drive my Cayman GTS at this time anyway. However, when my new Macan gets delivered the desire to get out and about will be very powerful indeed.

Brian
Brian_Innes said:

Brian
Why not try to get hold of Dominic Cummings for some advice. Apparently it's ok for some 😂

Dominic has cleared it up. As long as you are testing your eyesight, you can drive to a beauty spot. My recollection is the Highlands are basically one huge one. Off you go Brian 😉

Ha ha, :ROFLMAO: I must say I'm very tempted!

As I said before, driving alone in my car to a remote spot in the Highlands, I'm talking about Glen Strathfarar, and Lochindorb, both locations nearby, and far from the madding crowds, would present absolutely no risk whatsoever to myself or anyone else.

I must say I am getting increasingly irritated by the "one size fits all" approach by governments both UK and Scottish. My take is to apply common sense with precautions for myself and others to minimise the risk of infection. To be frank, I am wasting a precious year here.

Finally, I am also getting very weary of this incessant prescriptive approach which in reality is tantamount to house arrest for the fit and able in a sparsely populated community.

Brian

Brian_Innes said:
Ha ha, :ROFLMAO: I must say I'm very tempted!

As I said before, driving alone in my car to a remote spot in the Highlands, I'm talking about Glen Strathfarar, and Lochindorb, both locations nearby, and far from the madding crowds, would present absolutely no risk whatsoever to myself or anyone else.

I must say I am getting increasingly irritated by the "one size fits all" approach by governments both UK and Scottish. My take is to apply common sense with precautions for myself and others to minimise the risk of infection. To be frank, I am wasting a precious year here.

Finally, I am also getting very weary of this incessant prescriptive approach which in reality is tantamount to house arrest for the fit and able in a sparsely populated community.

Brian

Wish I hcould join you; a bit far to go in one day :( Can't imagine the weather will be this consistently good next year. I'm sure I recall a Top Gear where they drove around the top of the highlands. The roads looked superb. I'd welcome any recommended routes/hotels for future reference. If I'm passing I'll take you for a dram :)

I have to agree with your comments Brian and sympathise with your situation. However, the problem is that the Government(s) appear to have a difficult enough task getting across the simplest of messages to the populace without introducing the complex notion of allowing variations throughout the country. An ideal situation would be to leave the decisions to local authorities who have a much better understanding of their own population density and infection rates, etc., but of course that would mean the central Government(s) relinquishing power, which isn't going to happen.

Maybe there's hope on the horizon though because I see that our esteemed Health Secretary Peter Pandemic has indicated that "Local lockdowns" will be introduced to tackle regional outbreaks of coronavirus in England in the future, so if Scotland and Wales were to follow suit it's possible that there could be a graduated easing of restrictions throughout the whole country which would favour your sparsely populated area.

Jeff

Motorhead said:
I have to agree with your comments Brian and sympathise with your situation. However, the problem is that the Government(s) appear to have a difficult enough task getting across the simplest of messages to the populace without introducing the complex notion of allowing variations throughout the country. An ideal situation would be to leave the decisions to local authorities who have a much better understanding of their own population density and infection rates, etc., but of course that would mean the central Government(s) relinquishing power, which isn't going to happen.

Maybe there's hope on the horizon though because I see that our esteemed Health Secretary Peter Pandemic has indicated that "Local lockdowns" will be introduced to tackle regional outbreaks of coronavirus in England in the future, so if Scotland and Wales were to follow suit it's possible that there could be a graduated easing of restrictions throughout the whole country which would favour your sparsely populated area.

Jeff

Once a govt embarks on the somewhat brainless "restrict everyone's movements" tack, then one-size-fits-all is inevitable, mainly because the govt think that most people have no common sense (despite what Boris says in public) and a good proportion are borderline stupid. The irony is, of course, that all the stupid people will not understand even the simplest of instructions (e.g. social distancing) or will simply ignore them anyway, leaving all the law-abiding citizens like Brian even more frustrated.

Jeff, I hope you're wrong about future outbreaks. South Korea proved that outbreaks such as COVID-19 can be handled very successfully without lock-downs, or closing schools, or even "social distancing". All you need is a very switched-on government / public health service, mass testing and sophisticated contact tracing. Oh, and a very supportive, compliant population.

South Korea: population 50 million, covid-19 deaths = 269 - and about half of those were due to a crazy religious sect that the govt didn't know about.

UK: population 66 million, covid-19 deaths = 36,914.

Will the UK govt learn anything, and are they actually capable of organising something on the scale that the South Koreans managed? Probably not.

Phil

All sad but true Phil, and I think that the South Koreans were far better prepared as a result of the SARS epidemic and had in place the necessary rapid and comprehensive testing and tracing strategies, as well as adequate supplies of PPE. According to its author, if the Government here had heeded the warnings and followed recommendations presented in her report on SARS we would have been in a similar position. As usual financial expediency won the day and individuals and their families have paid dearly as a result. At least our hospitals weren't over-run like those in Italy, so that should be counted as a positive, but clearly that was at the expense of the care home system.

Switched-on Government here? After enduring the Brexit debate fiasco and now the pandemic crisis, I think not.!

Jeff

Another thing in the Koreans favour is the fact they will be advised (strongly) and take the advice on board. Whereas many people in the UK have an attitude.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back