Menu toggle

Cayenne e-hybrid 2024.

martin_5966

PCGB Member
This is my first time of posting. In October, I took delivery of a new 2024 model Cayenne e-hybrid. I’ve had several Porsches in the past including a diesel Cayenne. I have noticed that there have been delays on Cayennes with software patches needed before the customers are allowed to take delivery. According to my dealer, my version did not need this software patch. Unfortunately I’ve had numerous problems with my car including a leaking air-conditioning pipe (they cannot get a replacement parts as these are on backorder in Germany). I have also had an issue with the car hissing loudly. This only happens once the engine has run and then switches back to electric power ie the car is virtually silent on electric before the internal combustion engine has run. The noise can be heard from several feet away. This also happens when the car is in neutral or park and has nothing to do with the fabricated noise for pedestrian safety. Has anyone had this issue on an e-hybrid model as I’m struggling to get anywhere with my Porsche Centre? I’m beginning to think that my car may be also needing a software upgrade, which I’ve not been made aware of. I’ll be grateful for some help with this. Kind regards, Martin.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, I only wish it was under better circumstances.

My car was originally scheduled to pick up early September but for an unforeseen mix up I would probably be in the same boat as you. I can tell you my current 2022 E-Hybrid does make the occasional noise regarding the air suspension, I wonder if that may be part of the noise you are experiencing.

Regarding updates all I can tell you is, although mine hasn’t even left the dealership yet, it has been subject to two recall campaigns: WPQ8 Review supply fuel line and return fuel line and re-work if necessary and WPR6 Carry out additional quality measures, which obviously could cover just about anything.

You can also check your own vehicle regarding recalls on the Porsche Recall/Campaign page, you can find out more here.

I’m sorry I can’t be any more helpful, but I do know the guys and girls at the dealerships are pretty much as in the dark as we are. That said, I can confirm there is another software update fix planned for those cars effected early January although there’s a huge amount of conflicting information already out there via social media channels already querying how effective the next update is going to be.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, I only wish it was under better circumstances.

My car was originally scheduled to pick up early September but for an unforeseen mix up I would probably be in the same boat as you. I can tell you my current 2022 E-Hybrid does make the occasional noise regarding the air suspension, I wonder if that may be part of the noise you are experiencing.

Regarding updates all I can tell you is, although mine hasn’t even left the dealership yet, it has been subject to two recall campaigns: WPQ8 Review supply fuel line and return fuel line and re-work if necessary and WPR6 Carry out additional quality measures, which obviously could cover just about anything.

You can also check your own vehicle regarding recalls on the Porsche Recall/Campaign page, you can find out more here.

I’m sorry I can’t be any more helpful, but I do know the guys and girls at the dealerships are pretty much as in the dark as we are. That said, I can confirm there is another software update fix planned for those cars effected early January although there’s a huge amount of conflicting information already out there via social media channels already querying how effective the next update is going to be.

Hi Greg

Thank you for your response and help. I have checked the link to the recalls and there is no recall in place for my car when quoting my VIN number.

As you mentioned, there is a noise from air the suspension on the odd occasion and this would be minimal. I do have the air suspension on this car as I did on my previous Cayenne. The noise I have appears to be coming from just ahead of the rear wheels and it’s continuous and very noisy. Unfortunately, there is no way of putting a short clip video onto the forum.

I did call Porsche Assistance as directed by my Porsche centre to get some assistance with this and also because of my concerns with charging and any risks involved [My car is charged in an underground car park]. The car is certainly driveable, but in view of the number of vehicle fires with problems on electric/hybrid vehicles, I thought it would be sensible to get this checked out, particularly as they highlighted that it was from the fuel tank area. You can feel vibration from the fuel tank when this noise is apparent. The AA Prestige technician said he had never heard anything like this before from an electric/hybrid car, but thought that it may be a fuel pump noise where it is priming ready for the next time the engine cuts in. Unfortunately, this noise is continuous and very loud. There would be no need for an electronic fabricated noise on my car for pedestrian safety!

Thank you again for all your help.

Morning Martin,

Reading your reply, I do wonder if your car has been inspected for the fuel line campaign, I’m not implying it’s needed and if done I’m guessing it would no longer show on the system but if the fuel tank seems to be vibrating, logically you would suspect, perhaps a fuel pump/fuel line issue or perhaps even something as simple as a loose bracket on the tank.

Regarding Porsche Assist, the dealers usually ask you to go through them to ensure you get a courtesy car when yours is in for any work, as they tend to struggle to have too many available these days. Although I can appreciate it may at first seem like they’re just passing the buck they’re actually doing you a favour, as in my experience (for what it’s worth) this normally escalates the issues quicker.

Thank you for sharing and please let us all know what they find out & how you get on. Fingers crossed you get it sorted quickly and easily.

KR
Greg.

Hi Greg.

I hope you’re having a lovely Christmas.

Thank you for your response.

It is interesting to hear there is a recall as I feel that this would be needed on my vehicle although I’ve not been notified. I do suspect it’s the fuel system where problem lies as it only becomes apparent once the engine has run and not when it first runs on electric power.

Porsche Customer Services have been very slow in responding and my Porsche Centre are relying on Porsche UK to escalate things so I feel like I’m stuck a little. I realise they have many problems with lots of delayed orders due to software issues. This is very frustrating for all concerned.

Best wishes.
Martin.

Hope you are all sorted now Martin? I've just got back from a trip down to Dorset. I must say I'm really impressed with the eHybrid. Very smooth ride with plenty of power but still very assured on the roads. I was also surprised to see the battery still had a little charge after a 140 mile trip in Hybrid mode - it seems to share electric v petrol power well. The Matrix headlights on the dark, windy Dorset roads were fabulous too.

Hi. I’m glad you had a good trip in the ehybrid. My car is going in next week for several items.
I’m a little confused as despite checking on the recall link using my vin number, I have a “re-programming high voltage power electronics unit” recall (campaign WPS4) and a similar reprogramming (campaign WRA1).
As I understood at the time of taking delivery many new ehybrid Cayennes were ‘held back’ from delivery awaiting software patches.
I also have the load hissing noise from the underside of car which they have now recognised as a fault with (potentially) the fuel pump and I am also waiting for parts from October for the air conditioning. There is a broken pipe which is still not available. I really like the car but I’m very disappointed with my ownership experience so far, despite having owned many of the brand and been very happy, in the past.

Sorry to hear that Martin let's hope they fix them and the pipe arrives soon. It sounds like you had one of the first cars if you managed to avoid the stop sale. I'm still non the wiser on exactly what the s/w update was meant to be doing. They never mentioned any recalls or mechanical parts that needed attention too. Fingers crossed you get it sorted and it becomes a distant memory. If it helps it will be worth the wait in my experience.
Paul

2024 Cayenne e hybrid.
Hi. I’m hoping this will come out ok?

This is the continuing saga of the hissing Cayenne e hybrid.

I’ve now got my car back from my Porsche Centre, having had the air-conditioning pipe (an Audi part) replaced and the air-conditioning is now finally working, normally as it has now got gas in the system.

Unfortunately, despite having a new fuel pump, the hissing noise is still apparent. This happens after the engine has been on and then it reverts back to electric. The hissing noise can be heard from several feet away.

Does anyone have any experience of this noise on their new Cayenne e hybrid? Having checked with another Porsche Centre, it was never apparent on the previous 2024 model.

I would be really grateful for comments or feedback as I’m trying to get this resolved through Porsche Customer Services and encourage them to find out further information from the technical department.
Kind regards
Martin.

Martin,
I feel for you and can offer no assistance. I was thinking of changing my current X5 for a Cayenne e-hybrid but after reading your post think I may be better off going for the petrol V8. I have never worried too much about fuel economy as the driving experience for me is more important. I would be interested in hearing if and when the problems get resolved.
Steve

Steve.
Thank you for your response. I certainly think that the Cayenne S would be more rewarding to drive. The braking on the e hybrid is not great and even in traffic it trickles along in second gear in petrol and at the point of feathering the brake to come to a standstill it drops to first and electric and tries to take off again giving you a shove in the back. Very frustrating! I did have a 2023 Panamera ehybrid (PDK gearbox) which was so much better to drive (probably hybrid better suited to a PDK gearbox). It was also silent in electric mode. I feel that the there’s still a way to go on the 2024 Cayenne ehybrid something other manufacturers don’t seem to have a problem with, my wife’s P300e Evoque transitions between the two powers so much better when in traffic and is silent (who’d have thought that!) In the meantime V8 petrol while we can is a better bet on the Cayenne.
I am hoping Porsche technical come up with some answers, as I am still confused as to why my car slipped through the net in October bypassing the stop campaign.
Kind regards
Martin

Really sorry to hear your continuing woes Martin and feel for your disappointment in this saga. We've not had any hissing noises whilst driving - we do get a short 1 second burst on drivers side when unlocking the car but I think this may be the air suspension preparation?

From your comments on your driving experience I'm wondering if you have a specific poor build/quality example as I'm absolutely loving our car - ample power is always available and delivered seamlessly between petrol and electric at any speed. Brakes also seem fine. Road holding seems really good especially for the size and weight of the car. The air suspension is particularly impressive cruising long distances as well as through the more winding country roads.

We've also come from an Evoque P300e and we are finding the Cayenne so much better all round. TBH the only downside against the Range Rover is the lower petrol consumption on engine only modes (low-mid 20's at moment) but for me that's an occasional small price to pay for the so much better and more powerful driving experience in most of our journeys.

Have the OPC offered you loan cars while assessing/fixing yours? It maybe worth asking them to provide a second test option extended drive?

Hi Paul.
Thank you for your response. I am glad you’re enjoying your car. It’s also very interesting to hear of your experience with the Evoque. Undoubtedly the Cayenne is a far better handling car and was my choice as I’ve had quite a few 911’s over the years and wanted to combine the performance and handling with some more practicality.
It has been difficult to get a replacement car as the OPC appear to be struggling with cars on stop campaign and cars awaiting parts. I did however have a 2023 Panamera ehybrid on loan as mentioned for a couple of weeks and this was phenomenal and had no noise from the fuel system when reverting to electric from petrol. Is your car a 2024 model, the new face-lifted Cayenne? The pre-facelift model did not make any sound under the same circumstances. If you do get a chance it would be great to know if you notice any hissing from the underside of the car when dialling it from sport or sport plus back to e-power (sometimes you need to sit in the car and engage drive briefly to encourage it back into electric mode). The car then hisses from just in front of the rear wheels.
It would be great to get some feedback as I am struggling to make any progress with Porsche Customer Services as I feel it needs to be escalated with the technical department on the development of the car in Germany.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards
Martin.

Morning Martin, which region are you, I’m in R3 North East if you are ever up this way and also planning on going to the Donnington Classic. Just a thought maybe if we have any other E-Hybrid owners local to you someone might be willing to meet up for a cuppa to give you the chance of a direct comparison.
Regards
Greg.

Hi Greg. I’m in R20 living in Central London but I do spend a reasonable amount of time in North Yorkshire (unfortunately not always with the car). I will find the time to go to some events. I’m certainly not that far from Harewood. Looks like a great event. I’m trying to juggle things at the moment.

Hi Paul.
Thank you for your response. I am glad you’re enjoying your car. It’s also very interesting to hear of your experience with the Evoque. Undoubtedly the Cayenne is a far better handling car and was my choice as I’ve had quite a few 911’s over the years and wanted to combine the performance and handling with some more practicality.
It has been difficult to get a replacement car as the OPC appear to be struggling with cars on stop campaign and cars awaiting parts. I did however have a 2023 Panamera ehybrid on loan as mentioned for a couple of weeks and this was phenomenal and had no noise from the fuel system when reverting to electric from petrol. Is your car a 2024 model, the new face-lifted Cayenne? The pre-facelift model did not make any sound under the same circumstances. If you do get a chance it would be great to know if you notice any hissing from the underside of the car when dialling it from sport or sport plus back to e-power (sometimes you need to sit in the car and engage drive briefly to encourage it back into electric mode). The car then hisses from just in front of the rear wheels.
It would be great to get some feedback as I am struggling to make any progress with Porsche Customer Services as I feel it needs to be escalated with the technical department on the development of the car in Germany.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards
Martin.
Hi Martin
Yes mine is the latest MY24 Cayenne eHybrid Coupe, manufactured late Oct23 and put on stop sale at the OPC until Jan24. I will try the drive mode selections and see if I can replicate the hissing problem you get. I may not live far from you so please DM me and we can arrange a meet up if helps?
Paul

Hi Paul.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards
Martin.
Paul,
I own an Oct 2023 V6 E-Hybrid and yes, I too have various hissing sounds but don't get concerned about it as I used to get various strange sounds fom my old V8 Diesel Cayenne as well. I suspect it is just the air suspension compressor settling down as I use the low setting to make ingress and egress to the car a bit easier for my partner (5ft 1inch in her stocking soles) so don't panic unless an engine check light comes on!

Hi Ian.

Thank you for your response to the thread. I understand where you are coming from with the air compressor as I too have air suspension on my eHybrid and also had it on a previous diesel Cayenne and many other marques. This is not air suspension related. It is to do with the fuel system and it’s continuous (I wouldn’t be impressed if the air compressor was running continuously possibly indicating a leak in the system). Nevertheless Porsche Uk have reverted this back to the dealership as they feel changing the fuel pump would resolve the issue - it’s still as noisy but they are unwilling to explain why this is as it is. It was not apparent on the pre facelift Cayenne and on the 2022 X5 hybrid I had as a loan car previously or my wife’s 2023 P300e Evoque. I’m really not impressed with Porsche Uk as my car does sound like it’s the Mallard train after completing its record breaking run. I am considering returning the car, as much as I love the car, it’s embarrassing!
Kr Martin

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back