Menu toggle

Cayman GTS 4.0 General Discussion

Neil Chadwick

PCGB Member
Quite a few of us have now either received our cars or will shortly do so. I thought it would be a good time to have a general discussion thread based on first impressions , quirks , differences that were not expected etc that may help others , either with the car or thinking about getting one. Apologies if I am going over old ground as I do appreciate that there have been a number of posts on different things.

I'll start with my own car.

I received it 9th of March , its a PDK with around 8k of options.

I've owned both 987 / 981 Caymans and was planning to skip the 718 model range until the GTS/GT4 flat 6 was announced. My local OPC isn't blessed with a lot of demo models and so it was ordered blind late July 21 based on reviews/online footage. I have to admit that I was kind of setting myself up to be a bit disappointed based on some of the reviews , albeit most of them just find it easier to copy what others have said.

In reality, I didn't have to worry , the car is great. One bit that really pleased me was the exhaust sound (both inside and outside) in that its much better than the online reviews portray.

In truth, it all does what it says on the tin.

There were a couple of things that I had to check with my OPC , partly due to not receiving a manual at handover/not being able to download the app due to being based in the IOM. All of the following were deemed to be normal:

The engine heats up a lot faster than my 981 and the numbers / graphics for the oil and water don't align themselves until the car is up to operating temp. The graphics seem to be a better indicator than the numbers. Not sure if other 718 models operate in the same way?

Mechanical noise from the engine is louder than the 981 , specifically the transmission where there is an 'ticking noise' that I don't remember with the 981.

Hopefully others have additional observations that will be helpful.

Neil

While not a GTS owner, I can add a comment re. the exhaust based on my 718 GT4 that may be useful or at the least mildly interesting I hope!

The standard exhaust is a very good design that is essentially unsilenced above 4k revs (or 5k revs if the exhaust button is not pressed). A key design element is that the two banks of cylinders do not mix at any point, so you essentially have two 3-cylinder engines running in parallel. Combined with the two separated exits, which affect the way we hear the exhaust note, this gives it quite a different sound when compared to a 987 or 981 series car.

You cannot make the new 4.0 sound like the older cars, period. It's just not possible. You can switch the rear silencer out (as I have) to change the tone of the exhaust note but it will still sound different to other Cayman models and you will introduce some resonance/drone at lower revs which is particularly noticeable if you're just pottering around. On a GTS, which may well be a daily driver or something in pretty regular use, I would accept the sound it makes and leave the exhaust alone unless you're sure it's something you really want to do and accept you can't improve on the factory system in every area - there's a compromise that has to be had.

The engine is an absolute peach - and they only get better with more miles on them!

An possibly interesting observation of the sound is the difference between the two GTS4.0 models that I have owned. Both Boxsters, (so proper sports cars :ROFLMAO: ) but the first car was an early manual car, which arrived July 2020. The second car is a 2022 model year PDK, and it was noticeable, straight from the start that the second car has a louder and more striking exhaust sound than my earlier car - this was apparent even at running-in revs. Even my dear wife noticed this straight away. "This car sounds better"!

Its almost run in now, so I will report back on exhaust sound above 4,00rpm shortly.

Why I don't know. Other people have noticed this too, on a facebook group someone who has had two 718 Spyder, one manual, one PDK believes that the very slightly different engine tune is responsible. I'm not so sure, I think perhaps that there has been a difference in exhaust or calibration between the early cars and the later ones. I'd have to listen to a later model manual car to confirm this theory.

I read somewhere that when running at steady speeds at low levels of load one bank of cylinders is switched off, and then alternates with the other bank, etc. Is that true, and if so is it noticeable?

That is indeed true, and yes it is slightly noticeable and a little strange. However, it is only active when stop/start is also active - so it can be turned off, and it goes off when you switch into sport mode out of normal.

It is perhaps why, without trying to be economical or going slowly I achieved 40mpg on a mostly motorway journey.

Neil,

Well done starting this discussion. It would be useful to know what options there are on owner’s new (or used?) cars and if they’re happy with their choice or wished the car had an additional option or options.

Jeff

I have now been on the waiting list one year. And still no allocation for my Boxster GTS.

I have asked the OPC for the specific GTS 4.0 brochure, they say we do not have them and one will come with your car

is this true?

Glenn

You'll get a handbook with the car, not something like this which I guess is what you are asking about.

IMG-1834.jpg

In my experience these are kept in the sales department's cupboard as long as possible...

Yes that is the brochure I am after, even at Porsche price rates you would have thought 5k deposit would secure me one.

Glenn

Some great information already starting to build here , especially about the exhaust.

I received my handbook last week from the dealer , appx 3 weeks after getting the car. Apparently there is a shortage on handbooks as well. I didn't receive anything GTS 4.0 specific. The Porsche warranty/assist was sent separately and arrived a few days after taking delivery , albeit with the wrong reg. This required me to call Porsche assist who confirmed that its the vin which is important although they did correct the info and recorded the colour of the car.

In terms of spec , I personally went for a combination of features the car 'really' should have come with as standard and those I found useful on previous cars , as follows :

Python green paint

PDK

GTS interior with crayon stitching

LED PLDS

Power steering plus

Multi function heated steering wheel

Folding mirrors

Auto dimming mirrors with rain sensor

Smoking package ( to make that section useful for power)

2 zone climate control

Storage lid compartment with Porsche logo

Passenger storage net ( free)

Cruise control

Alloy look fuel cap.

I was initially thinking about the 14 way adjustable seats as I had these in my 981S, but as per other comments on the subject , I never moved them once I got the car and I have achieved a very comfortable driving position with the 2 way elec/manual seats in the GTS. My wife actually commented on how much easier it was to sort the seat out. I also find the car is much easier to enter/exit gracefully.

If I were to spec it again, I would possibly go for the rear camera but otherwise I am very happy with how the car turned out.

Neil

Lots of stuff on there that I would also choose Neil, but very disappointing that you have to add so many expensive options to Porsche’s poverty spec. 😀 Good to see that you actually managed to get something free though!

Do you actually gain much with Power Steering Plus other than additional parking speed assistance? Improved high speed sensitivity has been mentioned by some.

Jeff

Jeff

I haven't done enough miles to notice/think about it to be honest ( 440 and counting). On the 981s I found that it was the sport button that really changed the dynamics of the steering in that it became more planted. That car had PS+ and so not wishing GTS to be inferior I optioned it. Whether I wasted my money or not , time will tell.

On the subject of mileage and more specifically running in, I see there is lots talk about 1800 miles. I queried this with my OPC and they said 1000kms was enough. Not sure if there is anything official anywhere ? Nothing jumped out when I had a quick look through the manual.

Neil

Neil Chadwick said:
Not sure if there is anything official anywhere ? Nothing jumped out when I had a quick look through the manual.

981 GT4 ... early on in the Owners Manual, page 7 under Break in hints for the first ... try similar with yours ?

I was told there wasn’t a sales booklet specifically for the 718 GTS 4.0 and given a GT4 booklet. Enjoy your new car👍.

My thoughts, if I may, on my somewhat lacklustre 150 miles to date in the GTS compared to my Base 2.0.

So the GTS is as follows

PDK

Light package

Smokers package

Power steering plus

Dual climate (should be standard)

PDLS (should be standard)

Folding mirrors

Race-Tex with extended items in leather

Auto dimming mirrors

Speed limit indicator

MF and heated steering wheel in Race-Tex

Compartment lid in Race-Tex with Porsche Crest

Standard Stereo (controversial)

Firstly the look. I know this has the GTS front bumper and rear diffuser, which isn't really a diffuser, but it looks more menacing on the road. Not sure why but it just does. Could be the 20mm drop I suppose. Speaking of which SPASM vs PASM. I can't really notice the difference in comfort and it is still a very smooth ride in normal. My wife seems to think the GTS rides better than my Base with PASM. Could also be the tyres as I now have Pirelli PZ4s on [:(] rather than the PS4S on the Base. Something I have noticed is that road noise is definitely reduced with the Pirellis but I expect them to get louder the more they wear. Clearance with SPASM has not yet been an issue but again, I haven't really been anywhere to try it out although we do have speed bumps on our estate and I've not beached yet, he says!

Seats. I had the standard seats in leather in the Base and Sports seats + in the GTS. The latter are waaay more comfortable for my boney backside. The Race-Tex is lovely and I'm glad I didn't go with full leather seats even though my Base still had that lovely leather smell inside when you opened the door. I will miss that.

Engine note is sublime and power delivery much more linear compared to the turbo engine in the Base. Do I miss the low down punch? Not really but again, I've not driven the GTS for long enough yet. Time will tell. Exhaust is phenomenal, although I was, and still am, impressed by the exhaust note of the F4. Press the loud pedal in the GTS and the thing screams at you like a Banshee yet is quite refined when it needs to be. My chum around the corner tells me he can hear my cold start (the car not me) in a morning! A couple of forums have also mentioned a change in the software somewhere to improve the sound on the GPF fitted cars. Not sure how accurate they are. It would be interesting to hear a pre '22 4.0 against a new '22 4.0. I haven't used the cylinder deactivation as I always turn the start/stop off but was impressed with the 40.2mpg return on my way to Staffordshire on Monday. I'm sure it will improve once bedded in and then decrease when the shouty pedal is pressed.

Gearbox. I have the PDK and am quite happy however I have noticed the gear change to be a little slow when in normal mode and flapping the paddles myself. I put this down to the gearbox in its learning phase and it'll get better after a couple of hundred miles. If not I'll do a PDK reset.

Power steering plus. Now I optioned this as I didn't have it in the Base and wanted to compare both. I have to admit that PSP is pretty good. I wouldn't say it's a must have but I've been impressed with it so far, especially a low speed and when trying to get in/out of the driveway. Would I option it again? Yes.

Dual climate is a must have for me and should be standard.

Light design package. Well this is a bit of a meh. I like it as it lights up the footwell and adds lights to the sun-visor mirror for when I apply my mascara. Is it a must have.. no, but your other half may think so if they want to put their lippy on in the dark!

Auto dimming mirrors. Absolute yes for me. The car is so low that you get dazzled by a mouse ridings its bicycle with the lights on in the dark.

Folding mirrors. Yes. because I'm lazy and I can look out of the window and see if my car is locked!

Speed limit indicator. Yes. This has got me out of so much trouble when I've had it on previous cars. Well worth the £200 quid for me.

MF heated steering wheel. Yes. I like the fact that the MF part takes away the 3rd stalk that sets my OCD off and its not symmetrical and yes I know that if I added cruise it would be but there'd be a good chance I'd turn the cruise on whist trying to look for something in the cluster. Heated, yes. Just 'cause it feels great in the winter!

Standard Stereo. So I was and still am happy with the base stereo. As mentioned before, the cabin is quite small and personally I think that spending £900 on Bose could be money well spent somewhere else. I must admit I'm no audiophile and my music line up belongs back in the 90s/00s pop and house music scene but for me its enough. Anyway, don't we buy these cars to listen to the orchestra behind us?

Race-tex with extended leather. Although I was impressed with the leather in the Base, there was always the concern that my boney ass would destroy the seat base over a short period of time. Admittedly it has lasted at least a couple with only 1 sagging session (the seat not my backside) which was remedied with a hairdryer and a damp cloth. However, the Race-Tex is NICE. It's soft and fluffy to the touch and doesn't offer the risk of having 3 Adams apples in the winter when the leather is cold or in the summer when it's too hot although I am a little nervous of the matted steering wheel syndrome that can occur but regular cleaning followed by a stiff brushing should see it last. Extended leather is a nice touch and well worth £1200. Some may say I should have gone for the GTS package but at £3000 for some coloured stitching and carbon, I think not. I am a little concerned that my son's clod hopping feet the size of HMS illustrious will clip the Race Tex glove box and rip it to bits. Not cheap to replace at £1200!!

I am seriously tempted to do the GT4 RS PDK gear selector mod but I may have to slip that one under the radar.

Up to now no rattles or squeaks.

Am I happy? Absolutely

Anything I would change? No.

Dan

As a side note, the new 718 owners manual includes options specifically relating to the 4.0 engined models such as oil and coolant filling caps as they are on different sides compared to the F4 engined cars.

Dan

Dan,

I enjoyed reading your report on the 718 GTS 4.0 PDK. Having owned the predecessor 718 GTS 2.5t GTS PDK I had a particular interest in your opinions. I'm pleased to hear you like the PSP and would spec it again. I took some stick way back in my 718 ownership days by recommending PSP as a must have. I was even accused of BS by one contributor.

I have to admit to a wry smile when I read your comments on the list of options expected on a car of this value. This is where my current sports coupe of choice the Alpine A110 Legende GT, scores over the Cayman relative poverty spec. The list of Legende GT standard equipment is too long to reiterate here, but suffice to say it makes the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK seem minimalist. The token rear diffuser on the 718 GTS really is a travesty. Compared to the work of art on the same feature on the A110, Porsche really should be ashamed.

I'll look forward to your ongoing appraisal of your new car. Good work.

Brian

Great report Dan. I'm interested in the GT4 RS gear selector point, is that an official option now?

I would echo your comments on the cold start, it sounds fantastic. Also, very fast starter motor, reminds me of the type you had to end up fitting to Mazda Rotary cars to enable a hot start!

The GT4RS gear shift mod isn’t an official option, Neil but I think it should be there. The only down side is it costs a whopping £500 for the knob and boot. The mod itself is pretty straight forward. Also, it has either silver or blue stitching neither of which I have on the interior of mine!

Dan.

Brian_Innes said:
I enjoyed reading your report on the 718 GTS 4.0 PDK. Having owned the predecessor 718 GTS 2.5t GTS PDK I had a particular interest in your opinions. I'm pleased to hear you like the PSP and would spec it again. I took some stick way back in my 718 ownership days by recommending PSP as a must have. I was even accused of BS by one contributor.

Brian
The question of the merits of PSP is interesting. When I ordered my first GTS4.0 I ordered it with PSP, in no small part on Brians’s advice, as I have great respect and regard for his analytic and clearly considers opinions. I was also particularly swayed by his account of driving otherwise identical cars, one with and the other without without PSP; he found that the PSP car had better steering feel at higher speeds than the non-PSP car. Importantly as well, at the time the information given about PSP by Porsche in the configurator mentioned that as well at reducing effort at low speeds, that PSP improves feel at higher speeds. since steering feel is very important to me I had no hesitation in specifying it. After the unfortunate demise of my first GTS4.0 I bought the only new replacement car available from the showroom floor. This car did not have PSP. No matter, it is only software so it can be simply added later, just a bit of programming.

I wasn’t expecting to find that I didn’t need it. The steering feel of my new car is if anything better than the old one. Yes, there is clearly a little more effort required when parking, low speed manoeuvres, but at higher speeds the steering feel is truly excellent.

How can this be, I’ve being wondering. It is inconceivable that Brian was wrong when he tested two cars.

My theory is that the steering programming has been generally improved since my first car (MY 2020) and that the high speed feel is now better on all cars.

Perhaps it is significant that the description given by Porsche on the configurator has been changed and now only mentions reduced effort at low speeds.

Two years ago I would say PSP was a must, now I would say you only need it to making parking a little easier.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back