Menu toggle

New Turbo S order. Feedback please.

Senna

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems getting delivery info from their dealer.
Ordered a well specified Turbo S back in September from Porsche Centre Hatfield. Original delivery date was touted as March.
Ive been trying to get more info from them over the last few weeks and it’s been like squeezing blood out of a stone.
The finally came back with a reply stating they did not have any info at all about their car allocations.
Are the Porsche factories closed due to COVID? Or a slowdown in production perhaps?
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

The factory at Zuffenhausen is still in production, but much of the effort is concentrated on getting the Taycan out and about and this has affected other models. Covid and Brexit also have a bearing on the distribution industry with deliveries of new cars being sporadic and inconsistent. Those that have already reached UK appear to be commanding premiums on the used market, indicating demand outstripping supply. and some PC's are quoting 18-24 months delivery delay on cars being ordered right now.

If you have a confirmed, locked down order, your PC should be able to monitor its progress on the factory order system. Some sales people have been furloughed in this latest lockdown, but there should still be senior staff on hand to deal with customers, so try contacting the branch Sales Manager or Dealer Principal. I believe Hatfield is wholly owned by Porsche Retail themselves, so they should be well placed to know what's going on.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Clive

Ordered or promised? They will as Clive says have access to updated factory build schedule and status but why would they say they have no information on allocations? An allocation is a build slot against which they can take a deposit and you sign an order form, which presumably you have already done?

Lancerlot said:
The factory at Zuffenhausen is still in production, but much of the effort is concentrated on getting the Taycan out and about and this has affected other models. Covid and Brexit also have a bearing on the distribution industry with deliveries of new cars being sporadic and inconsistent. Those that have already reached UK appear to be commanding premiums on the used market, indicating demand outstripping supply. and some PC's are quoting 18-24 months delivery delay on cars being ordered right now.

If you have a confirmed, locked down order, your PC should be able to monitor its progress on the factory order system. Some sales people have been furloughed in this latest lockdown, but there should still be senior staff on hand to deal with customers, so try contacting the branch Sales Manager or Dealer Principal. I believe Hatfield is wholly owned by Porsche Retail themselves, so they should be well placed to know what's going on.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Clive
Thanks for your help Clive.
This is my 5th car from Hatfield, and they've always been pretty good at updating. I'll follow your advice and contact the dealer principal.
Annoyingly I turned down a cancelled order offered to me in mid December. This was a completed order with the car on the way to them.
Unfortunately the specification wasn't to my liking. My thoughts were, no point spending a large amount of money on something that will always irritate me every time I look at the car.

Cheers
Eric

ralphmusic said:
Ordered or promised? They will as Clive says have access to updated factory build schedule and status but why would they say they have no information on allocations? An allocation is a build slot against which they can take a deposit and you sign an order form, which presumably you have already done?

Ordered, with the usual £10k deposit on a Turbo S.
I was told March back in September when my order was locked in but have had zero useful information since, other than them tell me they're still awaiting their allocations from Porsche ??

Senna said:
This is my 5th car from Hatfield, and they've always been pretty good at updating. I'll follow your advice and contact the dealer principal.
Annoyingly I turned down a cancelled order offered to me in mid December. This was a completed order with the car on the way to them.
Unfortunately the specification wasn't to my liking. My thoughts were, no point spending a large amount of money on something that will always irritate me every time I look at the car.
Cheers
Eric

A good decision as it turned out or you might well have been the owner of a £170k motor with nowhere to go for a year! :ROFLMAO:
Regards,

Clive

Interesting thread, I placed an order back at the beginning of November 2020 paying the deposit and signed the order form, at the time they estimated car would be here around April 2021. Around 2 weeks ago I got a call from my dealer informing me my car had been given an official allocation and delivery likely by end of April 2021. Keeping my fingers crossed this is still the case as I can't wait and struggling to sleep at night because of my impatience ??

Lancerlot said:
Senna said:
Cheers
Eric

A good decision as it turned out or you might well have been the owner of a £170k motor with nowhere to go for a year! :ROFLMAO:
Regards,

Clive

lol absolutely right Clive.
Unfortunately I have one of those already (sort of) in the form of a June 2019, 125k Gentian blue 992 C2S Cab sitting on my drive with nowhere to go since November with just 4,700 miles on the clock. Hatfield offered me a great trade in price for it against the Turbo S so it’s going back to them when my car arrives.

Schuey said:
Interesting thread, I placed an order back at the beginning of November 2020 paying the deposit and signed the order form, at the time they estimated car would be here around April 2021. Around 2 weeks ago I got a call from my dealer informing me my car had been given an official allocation and delivery likely by end of April 2021. Keeping my fingers crossed this is still the case as I can't wait and struggling to sleep at night because of my impatience ??
Enjoy. You’ll love the 992 C2S.
I have A Cab version and they really are stunning cars.

Senna said:
Schuey said:
Enjoy. You’ll love the 992 C2S.
I have A Cab version and they really are stunning cars.

Thanks Senna, my first Porsche so it does feel extra special. ????

I'm glad you really liked your C2S and hopefully you get some news on your Turbo S soon. ????

Senna,

Congratulations on your order. I placed an order for a 992 Turbo S Cabriolet last April. At the time, they were quoting 9-12 month lead time. Covid did not have much of an impact on delivery times so I don‘t think that will be an issue for you. Someone dropped out of the order queue so I took delivery of my car on 18 December of last year. I understand that allocations of the Turbo S might be limited in 2021 which may explain the vague response from the dealer. My dealer was expecting 2/3 cars in 2021. They have a real time system that shows when the car goes into pre-production, production, transportation, customs, PDI and delivery. You should expect to get tracking data about 4-6 weeks ahead of delivery. Otherwise, it is worth connecting every few weeks with your sales person on where things stand.

A good sign will be when they ask you to finalise your specification and confirm the details of your order. This is around 3-4 months before delivery. On the bright side, the Silverstone driving experience helps deal with the waiting. I can tell you for sure that however long it takes for your car, it is absolutely worth it. The Turbo S is not so much a variant of the C4S, but a car with its own distinct personality. It is terrifyingly fast, the details are impeccable, and as with all Porsches the build quality is without compromise. I carried a mental countdown for many months so I know the pain of waiting. If you want to connect separately, I am happy to discuss my experience further.

Dfeatherstone said:
Senna,

Congratulations on your order. I placed an order for a 992 Turbo S Cabriolet last April. At the time, they were quoting 9-12 month lead time. Covid did not have much of an impact on delivery times so I don‘t think that will be an issue for you. Someone dropped out of the order queue so I took delivery of my car on 18 December of last year. I understand that allocations of the Turbo S might be limited in 2021 which may explain the vague response from the dealer. My dealer was expecting 2/3 cars in 2021. They have a real time system that shows when the car goes into pre-production, production, transportation, customs, PDI and delivery. You should expect to get tracking data about 4-6 weeks ahead of delivery. Otherwise, it is worth connecting every few weeks with your sales person on where things stand.

A good sign will be when they ask you to finalise your specification and confirm the details of your order. This is around 3-4 months before delivery. On the bright side, the Silverstone driving experience helps deal with the waiting. I can tell you for sure that however long it takes for your car, it is absolutely worth it. The Turbo S is not so much a variant of the C4S, but a car with its own distinct personality. It is terrifyingly fast, the details are impeccable, and as with all Porsches the build quality is without compromise. I carried a mental countdown for many months so I know the pain of waiting. If you want to connect separately, I am happy to discuss my experience further.

Many thanks for the encouragement.

Interestingly my sales guy at Hatfield mentioned back in September when I ordered my Turbo S that Porsche had already told them dealer allocations for 992 variant of the Turbo S would be in similar numbers to past GT model cars and possibly even less. The more I look around the more I feel this rings true. Certainly in the UK.

Are Porsche trying to do a Rolex on us? Who knows. In the meantime, I’ll carry on enjoying my 992 C2S Cab until my car lands.
My current car is in Gentian blue, black hood with black leather, with Burmester, rear axle steer and many other bits.

For those interested, this is the build on my incoming Turbo S,
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMG9LAI6

I’ve not received a spec change deadline yet so if I’d welcome suggestions in case I missed anything crucial.
The biggest difference (apart from a near 50% power hike) between my current 992 C2S and incoming car is the Cabriolet top.
I loved using it in the summer months but I felt a Cab roof didn’t quite suit the Turbo S as much as the C2S.

IMHO the double rear spoiler disrupts the pretty looking clean lines of the Turbo S a little and just doesn’t work in Cab form for me.
Where as in coupe form the double rear spoiler somehow adds to the dramatic ‘on steroids’ look of the car.

No disrespect to Cab TTS owners meant. Just my humble opinion ??

Looks very stealthy with black on black and Exclusive Rear Tail Lights. Will look amazing in the flesh I'm sure.

Wow !!! That is one hell of a Porsche. It looks amazing.

I know what its like to be chomping at the bit waiting for more details to come from your OPC but its gets even worse when you know its in build! I am sure your familiar with that too.

Congratulations. The wait will be worth it.

Senna said:
..I’ve not received a spec change deadline yet so if I’d welcome suggestions in case I missed anything crucial....

A brave request on this forum! [:D] Let me wade in with my 2 penneth.
  • PASM comes as standard and it's a stiffy anyway - so do you really need a car with 10mm lower sports suspension?
  • Ditching this means you won't need front axle lift either - the standard chassis setup easily clears speed bumps etc. Have in mind the front splitter is retractable too.
  • Lane Change Assist is a safety feature and ought to be included as standard - not an option IMHO. But it isn't so have this since it is certainly beneficial, particularly on motorways.
  • Lane Keep Assist is rubbish, but it also includes Speed Limit Detection that is useful. (There's currently a separate thread running here on this.)
  • Your cabin is a dark and foreboding place, so how about a bit of deviated stitching or dial colouring to brighten things up a bit and lift the spirit?
  • Burmeister - is this really worthwhile in a 911? Unless you're intending to park up and listen to it, high-end sound in a 911 (particularly a Turbo S) is fighting (and losing!) against road and tyre noise.
Just a few snippets to mull over during the your wait! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Clive

Senna,

This is an amazing spec and the colours are perfect.

The comment on a darkness in the interior is worth considering. While I struggle to say anything bad about Porsche, there are a few low cost options that I would otherwise expect to be standard features on a car of the calibre you have chosen. These may enhance your interior without adding substantially to the cost. Items to look at include: 1) Interior aluminium (No cost), 2) a white or other colour dial for the sports chrono and speedometer, 3) aluminium pedals, 4) depending on your view of the gear shift (a feature of considerable controversy with the 992) consider the aluminium option, 5) leather covers for the fuse panel (I did not like having to pay extra for this, but the plastic covers of my previous 911 always bothered me), 6) leather for the rear view mirror assembly (again, regretted having to spec. this separately). The contrasting stitching option as mentioned below is good advice. I chose the crayon stitching with the truffle brown interior and am very pleased with it.

On the exterior, it is worth playing around with getting the side skirts painted in the exterior colour. The side skirts have a bigger impact on the lines of the vehicle when viewed in person than is revealed online or through the VR simulator.

The net net, is that you have any amazing spec. as it stands and you will be very happy with the delivered product. All of the above is just for musing and consideration. Happy to video call if you want to see how some of these things look in reality.

Hi Senna,
My first post on the forum, so hello everyone.
I took delivery of a Turbo (non S) on the 18th December. Its my first 911. I had previously owned Boxters (and I still have a 981 Boxster Spyder that I just cannot bring myself to sell). The Turbo an amazing car and was well worth waiting for and I'm sure the S is even better.
I paid my deposit in May and my car was the first Turbo to be delivered to my OPC (Swindon). It arrived bang-on the date promised. I was given the date just a few weeks after I placed the deposit.
Your spec looks really great - but you asked for some comments so here goes:
Some things I'm glad I spec'd include painted side-skirts, lower half of mirror and side intakes. To my eye, the beautiful line of the car flows very well with these parts painted - I was a bit unsure if you would see the effect in the metal, but I was actually pleased with the result. I wish I had chosen the badge painted in the body colour, as you have, to continue the theme.
I did not spec the lowered ride height - I have driven cars with this fitted and with my abilities I just can't tell the difference - plus I'm wary of speedhumps. I also passed on the upgraded stereo, the Bose is more than adequate and I'm no audio expert.
I think the advice on this post about the interior is wise. The black will look stealthy but a pop of contrast colour just adds something, a little extra sportiness suitable for a super-car like this and is worth considering IMO.
Anyway, you have a lot to look forward to, the breadth of these car's capabilities is astonishing and I'm only just starting to explore!

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Clive,
Yes agree the 10mm drop is completely unnecessary and adds a tiny degree of harshness to the ride, however the stance of the car is much improved with regard to an aesthetic point of view. And you're right, I'm paying to have it lowered and paying to get it to rise again ??

I've always had lane CHANGE assist in every car I've built (probably 10 over the last 12 years), agree, its hugely useful, and this is an omission I plan to rectify.

I hate lane KEEP assist with a passion. My wife always has it on in her Cayenne and it drives me nuts. I'm too lazy to fetch her other key which is programmed for me so I always get into a horrible fight with the steering wheel whenever I forget to indicate and cross over lanes. IMO it borders on the dangerous because some of these systems are so aggressive.

Previously on my old 991.2, I did opt for speed limit detection as I'm pretty sure it was available on its own.
However as you know, they've now bundled it with my pet hate so I'm not sure if I want to pay for two features and only use one.
Besides I tend to use Waze mostly for routes I'm not familiar with so I'll use the speed indicator on that.

The cabin is dark (similar to my old 991.2) but the glass sunroof does brighten it up a bit.
I've had deviated stitching in a 2017 Range Rover and found it a bit on the loud side. I opted out of that on the RR that followed last year and plain black just looked more subtle and classy to me. Less is more so to speak.

With regards to Burmester, I get that a car cabin is far from an ideal environment for critical music listening but as an audiophile and also being in the audio/video business, I don't mind paying a premium for the best a manufacturer can offer. Whilst the Bose isn't bad (I had Bose in my 991.2 and in my 997.2) the Burmester in my current 992 C2S Cab is on another level. I can play loud with minimal distortion, which annoys the hell out of my wife, so its well worth it ????

Peter_Bull said:
Wow !!! That is one hell of a Porsche. It looks amazing.

I know what its like to be chomping at the bit waiting for more details to come from your OPC but its gets even worse when you know its in build! I am sure your familiar with that too.

Congratulations. The wait will be worth it.

Thanks Peter. Yes definitely. I hope the original predicted delivery doesn’t change. Though to be fair, it did take around 7 months for my current 992 C2S Cab to arrive so I’m hoping the TTS will show up in March ??

Dfeatherstone said:
On the bright side, the Silverstone driving experience helps deal with the waiting.

I can tell you for sure that however long it takes for your car, it is absolutely worth it. The Turbo S is not so much a variant of the C4S, but a car with its own distinct personality. It is terrifyingly fast, the details are impeccable, and as with all Porsches the build quality is without compromise. I carried a mental countdown for many months so I know the pain of waiting. If you want to connect separately, I am happy to discuss my experience further.

Thanks for this.
Weirdly I was invited to this particular Porsche Silverstone experience just 9-10 days after I put my order in and paid the deposit.
This will be my 6th invite since I did buy a car from Porsche Tonbridge many moons ago.

They must have been pretty quiet back in September. I’ve not been able to attend a single one unfortunately but I’ll definitely make an effort this time.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back