Menu toggle

992 New Model Ownership Woes

LRR_uk

Guest of the Club
First off, my 992 C2S is an AWESOME car, let down by a few teething issues...
(additionally, I live very close to my dealership)

I was very lucky to have purchased a two week old very high spec 992 C2S demonstrator in June with 320 miles on it when I finally collected it... (and I had put 30 miles on it during a test drive the first day it was originally registered.)

However, I've had a long list of problems with this NEW model I hope they slowly smooth out for everyone else lucky enough to get one too.

Hand over of the car was originally delayed by a week due to the dealership identifying the petrol fuel tank sender wasn't working (the car was still registering a full tank when it had done 300 miles). This required a replacement fuel sender to be fitted under warrantee before I could take delivery howeever new parts were in short supply being a new model so the dealer agreed to remove the sender from their zero miles showroom car.

On the day of collection...

I signed over my trade-in 718S on the DVLA website to the dealer for my roadtax refund. The dealer and I then got into my new car to active the Porsche Connect system and 'pair' the car to me.

All services activated except for the "Car Security Package" (Porsche's new inhouse tracking system). After an hour on the phone with numerous people from the Porsche Connect support team and the dealer calling 'Porsche Insurance Services' to see if the car would still be insured if I left the dealership without it being enabled, the dealer gave me their 992 C4S.

7 days with a 992 C4S;

mjkwvLJ.jpg

A WEEK later my car was finally ready for collection

However, at the dealership I notices a number of black spots on the rear bumper. My salesman assurred me their valet guys would be able to remove them but since I'd left it to 5 PM to collect the car they'd gone home, but since I live 4 miles from the dealership it wasn't an issue for me to return.

When I got home I noticed there were actually six of these blackspots and the closer you looked at them they were in the paint work!

ud1RGb6.jpg

Returning to the dealership, their guy inspected the car and confirmed that to be the case and had to raise this with Porsche since it hadn't been detected during the PDI but not to worry would be resolvedby the local Porsche approved bodyshop. I know PDI's normally detect these kind of things along with shipping/transport damage and body panel repairs happen without the first owner being any the wiser.

I then experienced;

Sunroof failed to close 4th July - 6 attempts;
https://youtu.be/DB1hGZjwJho

Returned to dealership 5th July for 'adjustment'

Sunroof failed to close 13th July - 7 attempts;
https://youtu.be/AuKPOrE1Uqw

Sunroof failed to close 16th July - 18 attempts;
https://youtu.be/0Zkm2qC5OIM

Sunroof failed to close 23rd July - 4 attempts;
https://youtu.be/zDeWtH75M0U

Passenger window grinding 28th July;
https://youtu.be/lixCdifUI7g

Exhaust tip - Black paint coming off driver side exhaust tip.
kLG3URe.jpg

Rear Drivers light cluster - Driver side rear light cluster filled with condensation that has not cleared in two weeks of the country’s hottest weather.
a2NfQwE.jpg

Adaptive Cruise Control - ACC randomly attempts to abruptly stop car when no cars or people are moving in front of vehicle.
Previously had this option for five years on both a Macan Turbo and 718 S used daily it worked flawlessly without once having any false detections.

Night View Assist - Alert message displayed, I inspected camera, no obstructions found.
USANg3H.jpg

Car booked back in 29 July for 11 Days;
11 days with a 992 C2S Cabriolet
Sounds fantastic with the roof down (FYI "Front axle lift system" fault warning displayed on two occasions);
JlzCB08.jpg

Collected car
Bumper - Fixed
Exhaust tip - Warrantee replacement
Rear drivers light cluster - Warrantee replacement ("We've replaced the pair")
Sunroof - adjusted
Passenger window grinding - "No Fault Found"
Adaptive Cruise Control - "No Fault Found"
Night View Assist - "No Fault Found"

Two hours after collecting the car the Rear passenger light cluster that was fine until they replaced it filled with condensation!
e3FmWPI.jpg

Since then;
Adaptive Cruise Control repeatedly triggers false detections.
Passenger Window grind - 23rd Aug
https://youtu.be/8IXC1xyjTD4

Drivers Window grind - 23rd Aug
https://youtu.be/rBw3twri8K4

Sunroof failed to close 25th Aug - 18 attempts - I give up trying;
https://youtu.be/5wW-LPSwJZo

Sunroof failed to close 25th Aug - 2 attempts - hour later still won't close;
https://youtu.be/z8_vayAmlzk

Both drivers and passenger windows grind - 1st Sep
https://youtu.be/wy2EtBQ391M

I complained to Porsche GB Customer Service about the ongoing issues I have experienced, the car is booked in Monday 2nd Sep for another week.

Additionally, I know other cars at the dealership have suffered from the PADM issue, so I guess have that to come unless they preemptively fix existing cars.

Don't get me wrong this car is fantastic, I really enjoy every journey I have in it, I've covered over a thousand miles so far and have had a smile on my face with every mile.

Will keep you updated.

Lee.

I’m sorry to hear of all the problems that you have had with your 992 Lee, I hope that you get them all resolved soon. I guess you can get these problems with a new car, although you don’t really expect this from Porsche.

Back in the 992 C4S for another week;

Yj8ZJDX.jpg

Just my observations...

Where I have been very 'lucky' to experience extended day to day normal driving of both the C2S and C4S, these cars drive complelely different, the C4S is noticeably heavier steering at slow speeds. Unless on a track, since the 992 is really a computer controlled rocket ship I believe the C2S has all the traction you'll need.

Additionally, because of the extra stiffening, the C2S Cabriolet has a lot harder [Normal] ride.

Hope that helps,

Lee.

You certainly seems to have had your share of problems.

All of my problems have now been solved apart from the remote information on the communications side.

It certainly worth writing to the Porsche UK MD with your problems you have experienced.

In my case, I got compensated for the problems experienced.

We are off tomorrow on a 10 day driving trip in Spain with some of the region members, looking forward to see how the car performs.

A reminder from an old post ,

A few weeks in to the ownership of the car, I thought to familiarise myself with the procedure of the quick repair kit for a tyre puncture. When plugging in the supplied compressor to the power socket on the passenger side, it blew a 15A fuse, and had to get a replacement compressor. It might be worth all of you checking yours out some time, it is something we never do until it is needed.

Wow at lot of issues you must have a lot of patience Lee aka "The UK "Nick Murray" .

Re exhaust tips - you can join the queue of Audi RS owners with this issue, apparently you have been cleaning them with the wrong products....

Tyre compressor- Really don't use the rubber fluid supplied total waste of time and anyway just call out Porsche recovery (having said better go and check mine)

YouTube videos would be even better if you had a working 992 to compare....

The it's a new model does not wash as this must have been years in development.

Maybe it's time for Porsche to take the car back ??

Good luck .

John.

Lee

as a fellow owner sorry to hear your woes. Yes I have also a PADM fault now awaiting the car to be repaired.Yes you guessed it no spares. Early Autumn upon us when we should be enjoying the maxime from our cars From what is left of decent weather. I am left to trall youtube for my fix.

regards

Vic

Thank you Cymro, Vic and John!

Received a call today from my local Porsche Centre Dealer Principle saying my 992 C2S was ready for collection and how very sorry they were for the ongoing issues I've experienced.

They had my 992 C2S for 10 days [:(] ... I had their 992 C4S demonstrator 10 days [:)].

Rear passengers light cluster - Warrantee replacement (again)

Window grinding - They found the cause on both door windows, the wiring loom within BOTH doors had come loose and was rubbing on the window mechanism, both looms now secured within doors.

Lets hope that isn’t a reoccurring fault we see with lots of other 992’s!!!

Sunroof - Was unable to find fault with sunroof mechanism however since I had provided numerous recordings of the fault and the car had been back three times previously, they believe the problem was happening when the roof rubbers/surround were expanding due to heat. As such to replicate the heat (now summer is over here) they took the car to their body shop and placed it in the oven to warm the car to see if that made a difference, still the fault did not reoccur however they say they have again re-adjusted the roof and the closure sensor. Probably means it will now crush walnuts!

Adaptive Cruise Control - This was my main complaint to Porsche GB that they said was escalated to their technical department. A 5 year newer model of car had technology more unreliable (generating multiple false positive detections). The Dealer Principle said under the guidance of Porsche Germany they have recalibrated the radar and adjusted the sensitivity down stating "We didn't actually know that was possible until they told us!".

I was able to replicate the fault on their C4S two evenings in a row that I recorded on a GoPro, I will take the C2S car out later on this evening to see if the same thing happens again and will let you know.

Again, the dealership have been superb and I know these are minor teething issues on a low volume fantasic car.... I just hope they're now resolved....Fingers crossed.

Lee.

Car returned for another 10 days, this time I get a very high spec Panamera Turbo (not much of the range left now!)

iCmeG2E.jpg

Window grinding - Reoccurred again. This time the dealer replaced the windows regulator and the guides at the top of the window.

This finally appears to have fixed the issue with the grinding HOWEVER the passenger window now rattles under hard acceration and while crusing on motorways ARRRRGGGHHH..... it booked back in again for this to be fixed (the window rattles when the door closes suggesting they didnt put much effort in to checking things were correct).

Adaptive Cruise Control - My issue with the ACC is that it repeatedly falsely detects objects and breaks heavily to avoid them. This has happened to me on a number of occassion on motorways (including M23 and M25) where I've been travelling in lane two with slow or stationary traffic in lane one (i.e. motorway traffic jam) and the car stamps on the breaks... Where Porsche pride themself on the stopping power of their cars this has lead to clowns who are tailgating me nearly rearending me.

As mentioned before, this didnt happen previously on either my Macan Turbo or 718S both fitted with ACC. I know the 992 has a newer version of ACC however I would have expected it to be more unreliable?

In an effort to show the dealership this happening I setup two Go Pro's in the car one pointing at the ACC indicator on the dashboard and one out the window. Then at night I drove through my local town while no traffic was around (I don't want to purposely cause an accident on a motorway and knew I would still pass stationary vehicles).... During an hours drive on main "A roads" through the local towns while the ACC was set at 30 MPH I successfully recorded the system 'randomly' breaking on four occassions. When I've shown this to the dealer they've actually told me it is my fault the car is doing this since the ACC system is only designed to work on Motorways, and the system is working as designed stopping for stationary vehicles. My arguement is if that is the case, the system is faultly in that it has in one hour of driving only stopped for four PARKED vehicles not the other few hundred I also passed. Should it not be either stopping for all parked cars or none? Additionally the technical blurd says "visual and audible warning in case pedestrians are detected in the collision area"? How many of those are on motorways???

In addition I have highlighted this image from the Porsche website on the ACC page;

XNVJURm.png

This is clearly not a Motorway, suggesting either tmy local dealership are incorrect or the global Porsche marketing team are falsely advertising?

I really was hoping this would be a software quirk that Porsche would admit to 'working on' meaning I would be happy to wait on the understanding a fix was in the works.

With regards to this £1200 option (admittedly cheap on a £117k car) where I appear to be being fobbed off by the dealership I am in two minds to take this further, I have already visited the local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) who were very helpful and have directed me to the 'Motor Ombudsman' who then directed me to pay for an independent assessment by 'DEKRA'. I didn't want to go down this route since I've had a what I thought was a good longstanding relationship with the dealership however on this occassion they really do appear to be failing way below expectations.

Any thoughts?

Just read the whole of this thread and all I can say is WOW.

The only niggle we have had with our 992 is that randomly the alarm will go off and the monitoring company will phone us. The latest was on Sunday when they called to say that either someone had disconnected the battery or the battery was flat. Neither had happened.

Apart from this, the car has run faultlessly and we have now covered 5,600 miles.

I think there should be some gesture of goodwill from Porsche GB regarding all your issues as I presume you do not want to go down the route of demanding a replacement as the car is not fit for the purpose it was sold.

I do hope you get everything sorted soon.

LRR_uk said:
Any thoughts?

You clearly have not got off to a very great start in 992 ownership, however I would be disinclined to make rash decisions that lead to acrimony and may prejudice your Porsche ownership in the future.

What about making an appointment to see your dealer principal in order to discuss the problems and work out a solution? If this fails to do the trick, inform him you wish to escalate the problems to Porsche Customer Services Department in Reading to see if it is able to help with a resolution.

It's in everybody's interest you end up as a satisfied customer. [;)]

Regards,

[font="comic sans ms,sans-serif"]Clive[/font]

All i can add is that i have had an ACC system for many years (previously on Audi A6) and more recently on a Macan (3years) and currently on a 6month old Cayenne. I use the ACC system frequently on all road types and it works to a standstill on any type of road. I would have laughed if OPC said its "only designed to work on motorways"

AS someone above said it looks like a Nick Murray car.

Surely this ACC issue is a huge safety danger. I'm baffled that, given your video evidence, your PC is not treating it much more seriously.

Anyone had a problem with their 922 not opening.

I have had the car 4 weeks and it has covered 700 miles , all journeys over 20 miles.

This morning went to the garage and the car is completely dead. It wont even open with the emergency key!

AA on the way.

Interestingly A guy in the gym told last week me he had this problem with his 1 day old Macan.

Dave

Davewdent said:
Anyone had a problem with their 922 not opening.

I have had the car 4 weeks and it has covered 700 miles , all journeys over 20 miles.

This morning went to the garage and the car is completely dead. It wont even open with the emergency key!

AA on the way.

Interestingly A guy in the gym told last week me he had this problem with his 1 day old Macan.

Dave

Can you start a new thread please as your highjacking this one. The potentially serious consequences of this issue is of interest to many members and deviating from it is not in anyones best interests.

Hi there, I'm a brand new member and to be honest I was driven to join just so I could chip in my two pennies worth.

I collected my 911 (992) C4s on September 1st. I have now done 850 miles. 650 of these have been taking it back to the dealership. Five returns have been the alarm going off and the tracker company calling me. I know all the staff by first name terms now. They don't even bother with the name of my first school etc. One return was the spoiler not closing properly. They had to take the entire thing off and re-fit. They told me it hadn't been fitted properly at the factory???. Somehow I wish they had kept that to themselves.

The real and continuing problem has been the alarm. I can't even lock it now as it goes off within minutes. I thought they had solved it by fitting some sort of new computer control panel. I knew something had changed because the handles never came out to meet me previously unless I really had hold of them. After I collected the car the handles fly out if I'm in the same postcode. I have had two weeks of bliss but today the alarm/tracker fault has re-surfaced. It's making up for lost time. Interesting conversation with my new best friends at the tracker company. This is happening apparently up and down the country. New Porsches with alarm issues. My dealer doesn't seem to know this.

Despite all of this...what a wonderful car. Just can't lock it. Neighbours have had enough. I have now been loaned every car in the Porsche range. Dealer has been great but I think they need to add a meditation and anger management class alongside the coffee machine. I hate to advertise that I have bought something that is proving a little disappointing. I have owned some seriously ridiculous cars in my time that were almost entitled to misbehave just by reputation but I never expected this from Porsche.

LT

Have had my car since October, now with 1100 miles.

Haven't had any issues with ACC and have used it quite a lot, nor any problems with the alarm.

Had the fault on Night Vision a few times. It also picked up some pedestrians on a sharp corner, displayed a collision alert and then immediately followed by a fault.

Noticed that during cold weather the camera window is taking an age to demist, screen is demisted, but not the window. This has the result of ADAS systems not working. I am not sure with Porsche 992, but I know many manufacturers are now putting heating elements (as rear window) in this window.

Only had this once, pulled up to my gates. Put the car in park and handbrake on, enter the door code and on re-entering couldn't select drive or reverse. Switched the car off/on via the ignition switch and then was able to select a gear.

Homelink seems to be a bit erratic in displaying. Also you need to program up and down separately on my garage doors. Haven't really had the chance to look at this properly, so may be me.

As I've said before my 992 is a fantastic car...(It just feels like I'm beta testing next years model).

Another update on my dealings with 'Porsche Customer Assistance' relating to the on going issue with the Adaptive Cruise Control repeatedly breaking when nothing is stopping in front of the vehicle...

Following on from above where the car was booked back in AGAIN to fix the door rattle the dealership introduced after fixing the grinding passenger windows.... And to investigate the four seperate recorded failures of the Night Vision Assist that I captured with my phone.... Less than one minute after getting off of the phone with the dealership advising the car is ready for collection, I receive an email from 'Porsche Customer Assistance' saying;

"I wish to confirm that we have seen the marketing picture, which I believe is the one you have previously referred to on our Porsche website, against the ACC. I will bring this to Porsche Marketing’s attention.

Porsche Technical have advised that whilst there is this picture, for full usage and understanding of the capabilities of the ACC, as with any option, Porsche always recommend customers refer to the Driver’s Manual."

Just to be helpful the email included the following;

GCYRUxK.jpg

Based on this basically 'ONLY use ACC on empty open roads'.... So, I thought I give up, the traffic jam assist function should only be used in 'light traffic jams' and ACC should only be used on open roads.... Interestingly the Porsche configurator site now only shows two cars in the video under the ACC option...The 'Good to know' app still have the full video... I may see if the above ACC on a city street image gets removed from site before having a word with the ASA!

So, I get to the dealership this time returning a sporty little 'Cayman T' to "We couldn't find anything wrong with the Night Vision Assist, but we've fixed the rattle in the door"

I leave the dealership to a passenger door that no longer rattles but the window squeaks constantly over 40 MPH WTF!!!!

BUT...The good news is the ACC has not once false positive breaked post this visit! It is finally working the same as the Macan Turbo and the 718S I had without fault. When I mentioned this to the dealership they've said there may have been a software update for the ACC, all we do is plug it in....

So, the car is currently back at the dealership for them to fix the passenger window squeak, appears the window is loose, you can visually see it wobble when you close the door. This time I have a brand new Audi Q3 '35' [:(] ....

They are so close to getting everything fixed...PLEASE give me a completely fixed 992 as the gift of Christmas [:)]

The alarm and constant phone calls from the tracking company are a persistant fault with our car. When the car is parked in the garage we do not lock the car for fear of it going off. But this is something which we cannot do when out and about so therefore always have the phone at hand ready to receive that call. OPC are not aware of any alarm issues and the car is not registering any fault. But apart from that, what an amazing 6,000 miles travelled so far! Love the car.

If anyone gets to the bottom of the alarm fault please post on here.

Dear ABZ2,

I hate that you are having the same alarm issues as me but somehow it’s reassuring that it’s not just me and I haven’t acquired the Friday afternoon car. A flicker of wonder for my circumstances is that it had behaved after having the Mother board (or whatever it is) changed. I’m hoping that I just hadn’t used it much since and only for small journeys...heated seats going, heated rear and front screen etc. Could it be that the tiny lithium battery doesn’t like being run down. Took it for a one hour blast today and it’s now locked and no alarm (yet) after 5hours. I am waiting for Porsche to issue a lithium trickle charger. The dealer tells me that if the battery gets low the vehicle thinks someone is trying to disconnect it to bypass the tracker??

As you say, an amazing vehicle. I love it to bits despite the problems. Good luck

LT

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back