Menu toggle

987.2 goes to Europe, 2650 miles, 5 countries and a dicky switch...and the Mille Miglia.

911hillclimber

PCGB Member
We have been to the Mille Miglia several times, and fancied one last run at it, a spectacle to behold, Brescia, northern Italy, Lake Garda, sounds good!

Previously, we have flown to a close location and hired a small car with Italian plates, but, when you have a keen 2.9 Boxster, the call for a road trip is strong. Wife agreed, so a trip plan was formed, mostly by her!
I though some would like to read and see some of the trips up and one down mini adventures, so here goes....
May is a good time for us, we don't like too much heat and the MM is in mid May and starts from Brescia on a Wednesday, so we left the West Midlands for the tour on the friady before. Maybe not a good idea with London area Friday Traffic, but too the whole day getting to the hotel close to dover. An oddly quiet journey with crowded motorways and aggressive drivers and a lot of trucks and big white vans with no time for anything or anyone.
The car prep was all done well before hand with the awkward knuckle busting stuff done by the excellent Zuffenhaus. two pull-along cases fell into the front well with space to spare, 7 maps in the boot and all the coats and stuff, sunglasses, door pockets stuffed with Hi-Viz vests, torches, bulb kits, litre of Mobil 1 and no tools.
Screen carried all the right stickers and the invaluable Toll T system logger to avoid having to lean 1/2 out of the car at the Payage points...not the most graceful sights, my wife backside almost tipping out of the window.

The morning Chunnel was boarded with no fuss as usual and certainly only a few passengers, and 40 mins later we were in glorious France, sunny so Cool Dude shades on, wife with a 1000 maps (she does NOT do Sat Nav) and we were going.

The car is such a good car for this kind of trip, just feels right, potent and safe, and we scooted down towards our first one night stop over 640Km from Calais, 4 hours of driving later and several pit stops we arrived to a charming IBIS hotel, clean and easy and a nice meal, huge secure parking I found a good lamp to park under.
Found some Total 100 octane fuel on the way and the car ran 34 mpg, just humming at 3000 rpm, sometimes a tad faster.....before I got told off by The Wife.

Up early, and faced with another 630Km to Antibes in south of France on the Med. for 3 nights. Just a great coast line hotel just away from the town and the marinas that rival Monaco, old and new town areas, markets and shops and city wall walks. Hotel underground parking used and the car rested for a few days in good company with several MGB's and few 911's and a Merc 300 convertible and a few common modern Ferraris. Wonder where they were going?

Antibes thoroughly checked-out, we did too and set off for the real destination, Desenzaro on the lake side of Lake Garda, Italy's larget lake.
610Km of driving and the worst part of the trip in Europe, just really not nice. Traffic, lorries by the million and dull weather with rain for a torture of a day compared to gliding down through France.
France must be the best driving conditions in Europe? The difference in motorway services has to be experienced, France is clean ad light, space everywhere, Italy is a seedy trucker's stop over with few caring at all about anything.
Anyway, as ever the hours and hours my wife puts in planning and choosing hotels with rooms-with-a-Lake view, secure parking and easy access to nice places (to visit and eat) was paying dividends. The hotel was really nice, faultless and only 5 mins from the local train station.

We took the train to Brescia, 12 Euro return for the 2 of us and 20 mins later we were in Brescia with quite a few others!

"The most Beautiful race in the World", race is a stretch of the imagination but beautiful it certainly is. I will let the pictures tell the story

Back to the Desenzaro hotel for the afternoon as all the car come through the town along the wide long and near straight lake side road with time check-points, commentary in enthusiastic Italian just getting above the screws of every race engine imaginable that ran in period of the race.
The whole run through was lined with car crazy people, children on dad's shoulders, flags waving, dogs sleeping through the lot and a billion iPhones clicking like crazy.
All very Italian, All very Special, All just wonderful.

A nice pizza along the que side finished off the day.
Following day was sight seeing of the local towns that cling onto the lake sides with such charm, you can't resist!
We have been here before, and visited out favorite Coffee Shop for the customary Aparrol Spritz, savouries, cakes and all that as the picture, all for 12 Euro.
As an aside I love photography, and have 3 favorite cameras, and took 2 on this trip, one digital and a 35mm old Kodak Retina from around 1952.
Using film makes you think before clicking, refreshing from the all-done-for-you digital!
I have yet to get the film developed....

Time to move on to the next spot, the wonderful town of Merano, right north of France and at the feet of the Dolomite Mountains.

We love this place. The town has a raging river that white waters over huge boulders, the river in the town is flanked by sleepy cafe's, good shops and lots to see and stroll about, and of course the Hotel was sublime. We went DBB for 2 nights, the food was out of this world, the whole place was magic and the lift was at least a 100 years old, deep brown hard wood carriage with sliding gated doors that clunked and snapped locked as the modern lift system eased the residents from floor to floor smoother than a modern Merc auto box. Summed the place up, fabulous.

Well, all good things come to an end.
Time to run back to the West Midlands!

We took the route round the Dolomites which were deeply covered in snow and Trish does NOT DO mountain passes so mapped us round those, and around part of the Alps as we popped into Austria for a short time, another screen pass sticker, and into Germany, past Barden-Barden which we visited last year, so reluctantly drove past it, such a shame as it is truly a jewel of a place, and to a small hotel east of Strasbourg not far from where I used to work in the Alsace in the '80s.
This involved several 600Km+ runs as usual, and by now the car was being given 95 Ron Total fuel. Can you feel the octane difference?
Nope, not one moment did the car complain, just went the same and now 37 mpg as the speed limits are 110Km/hr.

We ran a long time to the hotel prior to going to Calais from the Alsace on toll motorways, sunny, in France, 130 Km allowed and the car just blasted along until we stopped for a potty stop and fuel in the morning.
Came to start the car, clutch pedal down and start it, right?
Nope, the 'depress clutch pedal' message came on. I was, so ..tried again 3 times, same message.
Turned the key to auxiliary and tried, and it started , no message. Ah, must have just been me.

Another blast, stopped for fuel. Oh dear, hear we are again! Trish looked anxious, I was irritated and we had to get the Chunnel tomorrow.
It eventually started and this happened 4 times in the day.
Onto the internet and it seems the clutch switch can be an issue, and the car is 57K miles so seem ripe for a problem.

Got ready to do a very awkward fumble under the dash to the hidden switch and with a blade fuse read, but decided to risk it and make an early start for the Chunnel.

Came the morning, the day to get home.
I needed a minimum of 5 starts, all critical, so the car started perfectly at the hotel in the morning!
And at the fuel station, and at the Chunnel terminal, and (thankfully) leaving the train carriage to English Soil, and twice on the way home.
It's been perfect since, but I will over ride the switch this week.

The M20/25/40 and local roads were really rough as we stuttered our way back home.

What a miserable day of travel in the UK, aggressive, get out of my way driving, tail gating, space invading and lousy driving habits.

Now, where can we go to find sports car bliss? I think we know.

So, the car did 2650 miles, average 35 mpg was the perfect companion, fast solid but with a dicky switch.

Hope I haven't bored you all too much, but we need more Travel Adventures!

Graham.
Club Member for 30 years.

Great adventure and write-up Graham, you’ve given me some motivation to do a write-up on my recent UK trip but as my wife doesn’t do maps or navigation I relied on TomTom which meant that most days I knew where we started and knew where we finished but didn’t know where we were in between!

Were there any occurrences of ‘smoke on start up‘ during your trip or have the new AOS and software change fixed it? Surprisingly my 987.2 Cayman S did it twice within the first 500 miles of my trip but didn’t do it again during the other 2500 and had never done it before.

Didn't smoke once during the trip, but has before and since, BUT nowhere as bad as before all the changes.
Im resigned to it now, if it does then sobeit.
cant do anything else other than sell it!
Which might be on the cards, would like a post WW II classic, but wife not too keen...so far.
Graham.

Thanks for the write up Graham.
May I ask which route you took from France to Garda?
I will be setting off in my 991 from SW France to meet up with the 991 group in Arabba in a couple of weeks. I don’t fancy traffic jams and rude driving!
Any other tips gratefully received, I have a French transponder and have been looking into one for Italy as I will be by myself in a RHD car.

Cheers

Great writeup. Great idea to stop in Antibes. It's our favourite place in France. We are lucky to have access to a family house about 150 yards from the Hotel Josse. If you ever do it again make sure you eat at the Romeran just about 100 yards from the Hotel Josse. Have done the drive down to Antibes many many times but have never driven on to the Lakes. We shall try that out later in the year.

Our first visit to Antibes was a 1/2 day job, far far too little time, hence the longer stay this time.
Lovely place. That restaurant you mention was closed! But plenty more were open, very French, very Nice, not expensive.

The round route we took was:

West Midlands to Dover: Manic UK Friday everywhere, awful. Bad decision, should have done it overnight. Felt like a 6000 mile drive.
Calais to Beaune: a lazy day of toll road motorways nearly deserted (it was a Saturday) bliss at 3000 rpm in 6th. Huummmmmmm 640Km.
Beaune to Antibes, another relaxed day made better by the auto toll system worth every penny and more. Wife V happy. About 630Km.
Antibes to Desenzaro: Manic murder driving on the Italian side of the day, really knew we had done it, about 640Km
Desenzaro to Malcesine: Just up the Lake to Mal, an easy drive of about 140Km, time to see things, lovely. Road surfaces rough compared to France.
Had to pay for 2 tolls manually, Wife not impressed. Long long lengths of speed limits, 23 Km @ 50Km/hr...max. Cameras everywhere.
Malcesine to Merano: Trip went quickly because the destination is so good, about 600Km (lost count now). Lots of Italian lorries but no real probs.
Merano to Phorzheim: Dip into Austria (buy the motorway pass, do not forget!) for about an hour, very scenic cruise, lovely country, going next year. Germany was nice too.
Phorzheim to Arras: about 1.5 hours from Calais so a good run and took a long time, made worse by the Dicky Switch affair. About 650Km. French motorway,
for 1 hour nobody in front and nobody behind! 130Km/Hr when I was behaving. Never seen so many dead insects smother the screen before. SPLAT.
Arras to Calais: Took about an hour, traffic was light and we got the earlier Train, bonus. Switch affair over. Phew. Treated the car to 100 octane for being good.
Dover to West Midlands, well, you know what I feel about the last leg.

Hope this helps some of you!

I doubt we will do such a long trip next time (maybe) as you spend too much time driving for days instead of a flight for 1/2 a day and a car hire.
This kind of trip is FAR more expensive, but while the car was young enough it had to be done!

An excellent and very interesting travelogue, I am sooo jealous. My brother and I am off to le Mans in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to that as it will be the first 'big' drive in my 2009 987.2 Boxster.
hope you will put more images on the forum and tell us all more of your adventures.

Excellent & interesting write up..... + photos
I used to use something called Travelpod which has now closed down but will attempt to submit something on our upcoming trip..... not sure if I can top that though!

R24 WOTY to Reims, then staying on in Europe travelling to Simonswald for 2 nights, 1 in Lake Konstanz, travelling through Switzerland via the Fluella Pass to Fuldera for 2 nights, then doing the Stelvio Pass via Umbrail Pass before heading to Neuschwanstein, visiting friends in Sontheim-Brenz before heading back to Calais via a stopover in Halsenbach.....

Watch this space.....

Graham,

Interesting trip.

I note that your Boxster’s the same age as my Cayman. Back in the day I too had the clutch switch problem a couple of times. A revised switch (replaced under warranty) eradicated the problem, so although you could just short it out it’s probably wise to fit a replacement since I’m not aware of recurring problems now.

Jeff

Thank you for the kind words and advice.
I like reading others tripstories such as the excellent UK Shop Tour in the Cayman, really good.
we should all do these accounts!

Hi. I would be interested to know if you find a transponder for Italy. I also have one for France but that company don’t do one for Italy. Thanks. Tony.

I don’t know of any equivalent in Italy to the liber-t tags
were off to Arabba too !!
nice write up - I love a good travelogue!
however,we much prefer the Italian services as the coffee is streets ahead of french ones- perfect lavazzz for 1 Euro!,

I really enjoyed reading your travelogue Graham. Always good to read other's experiences of continental touring.

Well done all 3 of you!

Just to pick up on Jeff's point regarding the clutch sensor switch. I had exactly the same issue with my 987.2 Caymans. A replacement switch, (under warranty) cured the problem for good in both instances.

Brian

Thanks all, Trish never found a Toll Sensor for Italy so resigned to hanging out of the window a few times!

As to the clutch switch, I'm going to get one from OPC and have a swearing time fitting it.
I am close to selling the car just for a change, but there is very little that would have done this little trip better.
Some cars are faster, but pointless with the explosion of speed restrictions and cameras in France and Italy, some cars have more cabin room, but none so cosy, few sports cars have such practical luggage space and small size on the road, esp in towns and villages and parking, and very few sports cars can turn 34 to 37 mpg every day on 95ron without a hiccup.

We bought this car as it was next to a very dull looking 996 Targa and by chance it was a gen 2 car and a bit cheap!
It was a good choice though we really wanted a 996 C4S and we should have gone for one, but so is 'Porsche Life'.
Above all we wanted a modern Porsche to travel in, far or close, and this Boxster is just perfect.
Yep, I'm still in love after nearly 3 years and nearly 20k miles.

The best Boxster is the one covered in road grime, not polish. [:)]

Only down side is with this car I hardly use the classic 911!

Great post (and you’ve somehow managed to embed photos as well) - we love a good road trip & we have regularly toured in each & everyone of our Boxster’s (the latter being a 718 but previous one was a Gen 2 987S). They are so practical & just made for crossing continents in superb comfort & style.
We love France so most of our trips have been via Eurotunnel to the likes of Honfleur in Normandy and Sarlat la Caneda in the Dordogne- both are beautiful areas & the car is loved wherever we go.
Last year we did something a bit different using the ferry from North Shields to Amsterdam travelling through Holland, Belgium then to Troyes in Eastern France for 2 nights before moving onto Annecy, France via an unscheduled trip twice into Switzerland hitting Geneva right on rush hour (thanks Satnav!). Annecy is beautiful & we could have stayed longer than the 2 nights we were there but time to move onto our next stop - Gap for 2 nights on the Route Napoleon - a superb route but Gap wasn’t what we expected but a useful stopping off point as we did part of the Route Napoleon in reverse which was great. Onwards via the remainder of Route Napoleon to Mougins near Cannes for 5 nights (we thought we needed time to relax but really didn’t make full use of the hotel as there were too many places we wanted to see) - the Cote D’Azur is lovely but the car probably got the least attention here & the many mopeds & bikers trying to squeeze through tiny gaps didn’t help. We got so fed up we escaped inland to hunt out the lavender fields & sunflowers in the Luberon Valley which took around 3 hours each way but it was so worth it that it restored our faith in the South of France.
Our next journey was a bit of a marathon (around 10 hours) along the Cote D’Azur then heading due North from Genoa (over the bridge that 6 weeks later collapsed due to poor maintenance - the difference between French roads & Italian roads is noticeable especially the tunnels which are scruffy & the Italian services are a bit grubby) via Milan calling into beautiful Lake Como which we were so close to it seemed rude not to, then through into Switzerland & the St Gotthard Tunnel before our next stop near Obernai in Alsace, France for 5 nights. Alsace is beautiful and so unlike most areas of France we’ve been to but it did belong to Germany before World War 1 so there’s a definite Germanic feel to the architecture. The least impressive of all the must-see towns was Colmar which apart from the area around "Little Venice” was a bit underwhelming. Whilst we were here, we dipped into Germany & Freiburg (another country to cross off!) & again Freiburg looked a bit grubby, not helped by the cathedral covered in scaffolding.
Our final stop was for 1 night in Lille which we’ve been to before & loved before we headed back via Belgium, Luxembourg (cheap petrol!) & Holland back onto the Amsterdam to North Shields ferry.
All in 8 countries visited & just under 3,000 miles and we both agreed it was probably our best holiday ever.
This year it’s via Eurotunnel - 2 nights in Blois, Loire Valley then onto Sarlat-la-Canéda in the Dordogne for a week then onto just South of Avignon, Provence for another week via the Millau viaduct (looking forward to that) then another marathon journey North to Honfleur for 1 night before heading for the Tunnel.
Oh we love a good road trip & the car’s the star!

We did the old route of Millie Miglia last year- going from Rome (still have the bus lane ticket!) up to Brescia, took lunch in the market square and had a wonderful time, the route was planned to use as much of the original route as possible and whilst hard work it was a wonderful accomplishment once completed (we did the Targa Florio the week before)
Being as we were spending that much time on Italian roads we did hire the motorway Tag from Toll tickets and it worked perfectly each time, the billing was more than clear too.
We hired it for the 6 month period, which was only slightly more expensive than the 2 weeks we intended to use it for and had no hassle or rush to get it back in time to miss the orderdue charges. I would certainly recommend it.
The Italian one is even more of a gamble than the French ones as the lanes are even quicker :p but at least they do ping in advance to say its working before you get to close too the barrier!

So good to read of these trips, some sound HUGE!
Been to almost all the French locations, France is just so go to 'lounge' around in, very enjoyable.

The difference for us was the holiday was a trip rather than a dash to a certain area and hire a small local car with A/C to max the time in the region.
This did seem alien to us, hence being hesitant to do it again, but Austria is calling for next year....

As to the Alsace, I worked there for a lot of time in the 80's in the small town of St Die over the mountains from Strasbourg.
A unique area as said, due to the changing borders of the past centuries the food and feel are so different to the west side.
A visit to the French Motor Museum in Colmar, The Schlump is well worth the visit.

My photo's seem to have gone, shame, but good to read everyone's reaction and own experiences.

We found the French Tag worked well when we used the 30Km/hr channels, that Beep is so reassuring!
Graham.

rowtietowers said:
Great post (and you’ve somehow managed to embed photos as well) - we love a good road trip & we have regularly toured in each & everyone of our Boxster’s (the latter being a 718 but previous one was a Gen 2 987S). They are so practical & just made for crossing continents in superb comfort & style.
We love France so most of our trips have been via Eurotunnel to the likes of Honfleur in Normandy and Sarlat la Caneda in the Dordogne- both are beautiful areas & the car is loved wherever we go.
Last year we did something a bit different using the ferry from North Shields to Amsterdam travelling through Holland, Belgium then to Troyes in Eastern France for 2 nights before moving onto Annecy, France via an unscheduled trip twice into Switzerland hitting Geneva right on rush hour (thanks Satnav!). Annecy is beautiful & we could have stayed longer than the 2 nights we were there but time to move onto our next stop - Gap for 2 nights on the Route Napoleon - a superb route but Gap wasn’t what we expected but a useful stopping off point as we did part of the Route Napoleon in reverse which was great. Onwards via the remainder of Route Napoleon to Mougins near Cannes for 5 nights (we thought we needed time to relax but really didn’t make full use of the hotel as there were too many places we wanted to see) - the Cote D’Azur is lovely but the car probably got the least attention here & the many mopeds & bikers trying to squeeze through tiny gaps didn’t help. We got so fed up we escaped inland to hunt out the lavender fields & sunflowers in the Luberon Valley which took around 3 hours each way but it was so worth it that it restored our faith in the South of France.
Our next journey was a bit of a marathon (around 10 hours) along the Cote D’Azur then heading due North from Genoa (over the bridge that 6 weeks later collapsed due to poor maintenance - the difference between French roads & Italian roads is noticeable especially the tunnels which are scruffy & the Italian services are a bit grubby) via Milan calling into beautiful Lake Como which we were so close to it seemed rude not to, then through into Switzerland & the St Gotthard Tunnel before our next stop near Obernai in Alsace, France for 5 nights. Alsace is beautiful and so unlike most areas of France we’ve been to but it did belong to Germany before World War 1 so there’s a definite Germanic feel to the architecture. The least impressive of all the must-see towns was Colmar which apart from the area around "Little Venice” was a bit underwhelming. Whilst we were here, we dipped into Germany & Freiburg (another country to cross off!) & again Freiburg looked a bit grubby, not helped by the cathedral covered in scaffolding.
Our final stop was for 1 night in Lille which we’ve been to before & loved before we headed back via Belgium, Luxembourg (cheap petrol!) & Holland back onto the Amsterdam to North Shields ferry.
All in 8 countries visited & just under 3,000 miles and we both agreed it was probably our best holiday ever.
This year it’s via Eurotunnel - 2 nights in Blois, Loire Valley then onto Sarlat-la-Canéda in the Dordogne for a week then onto just South of Avignon, Provence for another week via the Millau viaduct (looking forward to that) then another marathon journey North to Honfleur for 1 night before heading for the Tunnel.
Oh we love a good road trip & the car’s the star!

Next time you go near Andermatt I would recommend skipping the St Gotthard tunnel, when you have a choice of the old or new passes right above it!

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back