Menu toggle

Goodbye 718 Cayman GTS, hello 981 Boxster GTS

Peter_Bull

PCGB Admin
Thanks you for your very honest appraisal. I felt exactly the same when I have driven a number of 718s although I have not owned one as you have.

I feel sure that there will be plenty of posters who will come here in support of the 4 cylinder model, but it would be hard to argue a good case against some like yourself who took the time to get to love a car but in the end the love affair failed to live up to expectations.

Good luck with the GTS and let us all know how you get on with it.

Fair dues to you Paul - at least you've given it a shot and you've decided that the four-pot motor's not for you. Many people buying a 718 will not necessarily have experienced the n/a flat-6 engine and will be very happy with their purchase, and sales of the mid-engined cars appear to be holding up well.

Good to hear that you've located a car with which you know you'll be happy in spite of the significant financial hit you've taken.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Jeff

The curse of loving sports cars, means that I’m always tempted by shiny new things. It was in October last year that I ordered a 718 Cayman GTS, shortly after it was announced. While I waited for the car, it got a bit tiring to read / watch review after review of the 718 bemoaning the change to a 4-cylinder engine. I very nearly cancelled my order at one point, as it wore me down a bit.

Delivery took a little longer than expected due to my decision to switch to a PDK late in the pre-build period – I’d originally ordered a manual, but ultimately it didn’t seem right to spend £70k+ on a manual car. Consequently, the car arrived a little after the very first cars, in mid-March of this year.

To help fund this car I traded in my 2014 981 Boxster S, a car that I loved probably more than any car that had preceded it. Plenty fast enough for road driving, a cracking engine and practical too. It fitted into my life perfectly.

So here I am, 5 months into 718 Cayman GTS ownership and I’ve come to a rather sudden realisation that despite the car’s obvious areas of improvement over the 981, I do not want to live with it anymore. Nothing revelatory here, but I can make no emotional connection with the droning 4-cylinder engine. It has little personality at normal driving speeds and just leaves me cold. At the upper reaches of the rev range, there’s a hint of something interesting, but by then you are travelling at licence-losing speeds. The pops and bangs from the exhaust seem particularly lame compared to the AK-47 sounds that came out of the 981, and certainly no better than those from a modern hot hatch.

Something else I dislike about this engine / gearbox combination is how the car almost struggles with revs at low speeds, so that you can feel the whole engine behind you shuddering as it bogs down. Porsche seem to have tuned the PDK to be like this, because a 718 Boxster S I drove also did it. It’s solved with a twist of the mode selector to ‘Sport’, but I don’t always want to do this from a cold start. Very unbecoming of a Porsche, I think.

So, apologies for jumping on the 718 engine-hating bandwagon. I admire everything else about the car. Its ability to hurl you down a British B-road is staggering, but because of its engine, I could never love it. For me a Porsche sports car needs to be a car you love. At least I gave one a go, even if it has cost me over £10k in depreciation in just a few months.

I was prepared to leave Porsche ownership after this, however my OPC salesman has found me the perfect car: a 981 Boxster GTS with very low mileage. I didn’t hesitate to buy it. Having owned a 981 Boxster S with most of the GTS’s options, I know exactly what I am getting this time and am looking forward to getting my Porsche driving mojo back.

Motor vehicle selections are all down to personal choice. However you cannot really understand your vehicle of choice until you live with. Does it come up to your expectations, does it out perform not just in road performance but sometimes practicality does come into the equation.

My dream vehicle was the Carrera 3.2 it still is but after owning an 84 model I found that as an every day driver it was just too hard work. I should have gone for the later version. I did my research but that in truth is not enough as it is down to living with the vehicle.

The Cayman which I now own is not as practical as the Boxster S which I also have. Different aspects of the vehicles suit me whilst others don't.

Ray

Interesting.

I recently upgraded my 987 and had the choice of a 981 or 718. All I can say is I'm very happy to have chosen the 981 GTS, it's been in for a few niggles and each time I get a 718 loan car the engine disappoints.

I quite like the sharper steering on the 718 but for me the noise and low rev lag kills the experience.

Great honest comments Paul

We are in a similar position Tracy tends to change her Boxster every 3 to 4 years for the next model as it's an everyday car but now her 981 has just had its 5th birthday.

We have tried a Boxster 718 2.0 man and a 2.5 Pdk and your comments are spot on for her as well no doubting the718 is a great car just a bit sharper all round but she just can't get used to that engine no matter how hard she tries its not as smooth and grumbles and moans at normal speeds. Yes it's faster no denying fuel consumption better mmmm

As said if you have never gone through the flat6 range of Boxsters you will love it and buy it.

The718 is a great car but for the reasons you have pointed out she still is hanging onto the 981 but at some stage being an everyday car a change is inevitable.

Nice honest write up plenty of info.

Paul,

Fair doo's, a big pill to swallow, forking out that sort of money only to realize you had made the wrong choice. Sometimes it has to be done. Pleased to read it has not knocked or dented your passion for Porsche and you are reverting back (to the 981 that is). You obviously have the Porsche bug. [;)]

I had a similar experience with a BMW M3; only my realisation took 8 years. I fought it, but my head prevailed in the end. I loved the performance and practicality, but that's where it ended and it had to go. Not many cars I can honestly say I have been glad to see go!

I’ve not owned a 6 cylinder Cayman / Boxster and have recently acquired a 718 2.0 PDK cayman, and I love it. I moved from 18 years of diesels although also have a supercharged VX220.

I dislike the 718, poor seller also, porsche keep phoning me to have one !

They seem to have loads in Stock.

I act went into my OPC and said there is no chance on me owning a 4 pot and to stop phoning me about it.

they are a nice daily if you dont want to drive a Golf as a daily and want the badge.

not a fun week end car for the driver in us waiting to get out. Thing is imo it does come across as a poor 911 now where before I always had Caymans, for a daily now the 911 GTS is the better car if you can afford it and is still a flat 6. The 987 and 981 were amazing value and felt like real sports cars , the 718 feels like the basic model now :-( yet the price is up !

the flat 6 engine is a great engine and feels special.

Thank you for everyone’s comments. I handed the 718 back today and I’m sure that it will make a great car for someone. Jumping back into a 981 for the first time in 5 months, the slightly less direct steering was immediately noticeable, but of course most noticeable was that wonderful, smooth engine. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t grin all the way home!

paulevans, totally understand what you're saying - I own a 991 and a 987.2 boxster - would be very happy with a 981 boxster too but doesn't suit us for other reasons. I've driven a couple of 718s (loaners from OPC) and while it's an immensely capable car and dynamically superior to everything before it, it just doesn't have that connection for me either, just as you describe. So I'm keeping what I've got and am resigned to the maintenance and bills that will inevitably come with older cars. But I still grin like an idiot every time I drive either one of our 6-cylinder cars - that's got to tell you something.

Good call, enjoy it.

paulevans said:
Thank you for everyone’s comments. I handed the 718 back today and I’m sure that it will make a great car for someone. Jumping back into a 981 for the first time in 5 months, the slightly less direct steering was immediately noticeable, but of course most noticeable was that wonderful, smooth engine. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t grin all the way home!

Sadly the 981 steering stopped me ever buying one :-(

its a shame no one makes a 987.2 style car with new tech. Hence I have been in 987 cars for 7 years now as nothing new at normal money is better, it’s the same with many owners here and hence why the Cayman R has stayed at daft money for what it is.

the newer Caymans just don’t cut it even the 981 for me. But every one has a level they are happy with, I,ll take the flat 6 dfi with real steering, last of an era.

any new car from Porsche from then has to be a 911 or a GT model.

Not saying its bad but i agree the steering feel takes the edge off my otherwise perfect 981. Its not a big deal and i have the other cars , but i do plan to try some negative camber on the Pirellis soon and then move to PS4S in a year or so plus alignment/geometry to get a better feel. Anyone had success this way ?

MrDemon said:

I act went into my OPC and said there is no chance on me owning a 4 pot and to stop phoning me about it.

they are a nice daily if you dont want to drive a Golf as a daily and want the badge.

not a fun week end car for the driver in us waiting to get out. Thing is imo it does come across as a poor 911 now where before I always had Caymans, for a daily now the 911 GTS is the better car if you can afford it and is still a flat 6. The 987 and 981 were amazing value and felt like real sports cars , the 718 feels like the basic model now :-( yet the price is up !

I'm not so sure the 718 is a poor seller, true there are a lot in the dealerships but I think this is more to do with OPC's taking Boxsters for stock while the factory is not producing as well as buying in more cars than usual to generate turnover, they need cars to sell, giving the impression you quote, a lot of the stock cars are not well specced, fairly basic with the bare essentials, I have been looking for a loaded 718S for several months, I looked at my OPC's new stock, nothing suitable (but they have sold) and have only recently found and bought a 12 month old car. My OPC has sold most of its new Boxsters over the last couple of months and 2nd hand cars with a few of the right options they tell me are also selling. It is a difficult time for OPC's when they have only stock cars to sell, the strategy changes pushing more used cars they are rarely older than say 2015 except for low mileage or GT cars therefore most will be 718's, when the factory is back up and running and quoted deliveries are back to normal we will get a better picture.

In response to your view on the 718, we have bought one for daily summer open top motoring for both the wife and myself to drive, having stopped work and retired to Devon what better than to drive along the sea front in an open top Porsche in the sunshine [;)] ,still got the GT4 for track days, tours etc, the 718 Boxster S is better in many ways than the 981 and I had a lovely 981GTS, the sound is the only problem, when driven on the paddles it really goes, its well balanced, handles beautifully and will keep up with pretty much anything on back roads it is a real pity they cannot sort the sound. The PDK box in normal does from time to time do some funny things but when driven on the paddles it is pretty much on it.

Not a GT3 or GT4 by any means but as a summer everyday sports car its great car, if you nail it the sound improves although not as nice as a flat 6. Time moves on, legislation dictates but I'm sure Porsche will get it right in the end.

The 718 in now a flagship car for Porsche. If you want anything less than a 911 then this is your option until Porsche design and produce another vehicle. Otherwise your choice is a used vehicle, 987/981.

Porsche has a portfolio of motor vehicles, you make a choice and pay your money. If you are not happy with the choice on offer buy something different.

Ray

geoff lane said:
MrDemon said:

I'm not so sure the 718 is a poor seller, true there are a lot in the dealerships but I think this is more to do with OPC's taking Boxsters for stock while the factory is not producing as well as buying in more cars than usual to generate turnover, they need cars to sell, giving the impression you quote, a lot of the stock cars are not well specced, fairly basic with the bare essentials, I have been looking for a loaded 718S for several months, I looked at my OPC's new stock, nothing suitable (but they have sold) and have only recently found and bought a 12 month old car. My OPC has sold most of its new Boxsters over the last couple of months and 2nd hand cars with a few of the right options they tell me are also selling. It is a difficult time for OPC's when they have only stock cars to sell, the strategy changes pushing more used cars they are rarely older than say 2015 except for low mileage or GT cars therefore most will be 718's, when the factory is back up and running and quoted deliveries are back to normal we will get a better picture.

In response to your view on the 718, we have bought one for daily summer open top motoring for both the wife and myself to drive, having stopped work and retired to Devon what better than to drive along the sea front in an open top Porsche in the sunshine [;)] ,still got the GT4 for track days, tours etc, the 718 Boxster S is better in many ways than the 981 and I had a lovely 981GTS, the sound is the only problem, when driven on the paddles it really goes, its well balanced, handles beautifully and will keep up with pretty much anything on back roads it is a real pity they cannot sort the sound. The PDK box in normal does from time to time do some funny things but when driven on the paddles it is pretty much on it.

Not a GT3 or GT4 by any means but as a summer everyday sports car its great car, if you nail it the sound improves although not as nice as a flat 6. Time moves on, legislation dictates but I'm sure Porsche will get it right in the end.

Hence I said every one has a level, the 718 is better in every way over the 981, bar it’s a 4 pot.

so the choice is hard to make, I cannot see myself in either, I have driven it 3 times and had a GTS for a full day, it’s amazing fast car, just don't do anything for me, it’s just a nice car, and for many that’s all people want , a nice car with a nice badge.

best out of both is the 981 Spyder, it’s a 718 with a 3.8 and even better brakes, but it still don’t feel like a drivers car to me, again it’s just nice car and has the best looks. But I don’t miss mine.

it's very hard to find that bit of magic in cars, hence I bought my 2nd R, kept the 987.2 Spyder and have the 991.2 GT3 in Manual, those 3 cars offer that little bit extra which makes the drive (for me at least) I would love to find one car which does what those 3 do, but no one makes it.

I have high hopes for the new GT4 , I could sell 3 cars if that was perfect, but I bet it has a ton of downsides unless they do make it a £90k car.

Just bought another car so back at 5 , it’s very annoying ......

turbo jonny said:
Not saying its bad but i agree the steering feel takes the edge off my otherwise perfect 981. Its not a big deal and i have the other cars , but i do plan to try some negative camber on the Pirellis soon and then move to PS4S in a year or so plus alignment/geometry to get a better feel. Anyone had success this way ?

See post 11 re. my initial PS4S findings and geometry ... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=984555

Have now done 5k on the PS4S, can not fault them in all / any conditions.

Agree that the steering feel `could be better`but not an issue for me.

Having been into Caymans for over ten years I have driven several of the 987's and 981's, the 981 isn't better to drive than the 987.2 in my opinion but then I like the 987 from all angles and kept my 987.1 for eight years clocking a reliable 88,000miles. The 987.2 I have done about 20,000 in and use it mainly for holidays, longer journeys and pleasure trips now that I am retired while I also run a runabout Z4 bought as a fixer upper ( useful to drop the roof when shopping at the local DIY and garden centre ).

I have driven a 718S which I borrowed overnight when my gen2 went in for the transmission flush on the PDK, it's about 45 miles from the dealership that I use so a decent amount of motorway and other roads to get a feel for the car and at first I hated the sound of the four pot until it warmed up the turbo plumbing did reverberate to some degree until I had covered about three miles, but the things I did like on the 718S were the brakes and there was a marked improvement in the steering over the 981, we've all fancied cars but it is definitely the living with them that proves their suitability, it is a pity that the 718 seems to be downgraded in people's view due to the four pot when I have never thought the Cayman as subordinate to the 911 and think that a revision to the rear boot floor would have allowed a turbo and intercooler installation on maybe a smaller capacity six cylinder to satisfy legislation but newcomers to Porsche will not have our driving history, I came into Caymans by way of the front engined cars, 924S, 944turbo and 968 before taking my first flat six in the Boxster 986S, every Porsche I have owned was at the time the best car I had owned and that still goes for the 987S PDK. Previous to that the most fun drive I had was the 944turbo and the 718 also gets the turbo kick as it spools up so having been a turbo fan I can appreciate that but can't help feeling that the development went the wrong way for the long term Porsche fans and drivers.

I know from my own professional experience that things like engine sound and power delivery and steering feel are very subjective (and divisive?) subjects.

When EPS was introduced on the 9x1 Porsches immediately people were moaning about the degredation of steering feel and yet here we are one generation on and there's a begrudging acceptance that things have moved on quite significantly - even D is full of praise for his 991.2 GT3's steering..!

Like it or not, we have to accept that turbo engines are here to stay and whilst a flat-4 turbo engine will never sound like a n/a flat-6, Porsche will be working hard to address the criticism of this aspect of the engine. Also they have a wealth of turbo engine experience and no doubt have tricks up their sleeve if throttle response really is considered a significant a problem - a supplementary electric supercharger to enhance off-boost perhaps, although this could be achieved by a hybrid system which is bound to feature in the next generation of cars. Having taken the flat-4 turbo route for its mid-engined cars somehow I can't see Porsche backtracking and engineering the future mid-engine chassis to accept the flat-6 turbo engine now that they've created a distinction between their mid-engined and rear-engined cars.

Jeff

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back